Chapter 10

'Once upon a time, there was a girl,' a demon said five minutes after the bell rang for my study hall to start. I was bored so I asked someone to tell me a random story to keep me from sleeping. Surprisingly, they did what I said without any stupid comments.

'And this girl was a very special girl,' another demon said, sounding more human then the first one.

'When she was little she was the talk of the town,' said another, this one sounding more scratchy.

'Everyone knew that she was special. That there was something different about her,' the first demon said, sounding like he was enjoying telling this story. 'They just didn't know what it was about her that was different. But, what they did know was that everyone was drawn in when they saw her.'

'Everyone?' I asked, holding in a yawn as I stared a the whiteboard blankly.

'Well, the Angels and Demons, of course,' the second one said, making me piece something together.

They were talking about me.

'And on her sixth birthday they found out what it was that was special about her,' the third demon said, making me lean forward in my seat, as if they were right in front of me.

'And what was that?' I asked, making them giggle and my impatience.

'She had different blood in her veins,' a different one said, this one sounding deeper in pitch.

'What do you mean?' I asked, my nails digging into my skin as my hands clenched.

'She had demon blood in her,' the first voice said in a victorious way, making my face go pale.

"What?" I accidentally said out loud, making the teacher stop what she was saying and look at me.

"For the fifth time, I'll be gone for a couple minutes. This is the substitute, Mr. McHenry. Do not be on your phones during class. Actually try doing work in here for once," Mrs. Calvin said in an irritated voice as she started walking out of the classroom. I looked over to the man who was our substitute and automatically a chill went down my spine.

He looked familiar.

His jet-black hair, with a sculpted body and a black t-shirt that barely covered his bulging muscles.

He didn't look old enough to be a substitute teacher, but I went with it.

If I'm being honest, the only reason I went with it was because I was literally scared out of my mind not to. I felt like I was his slave and if I did something wrong he would beat me till I was out for the count.

I didn't like that feeling at all.

"Mr. McHenry, can I go to the restroom?" Ivory chirped out with a smile as she politely raised her tiny little hand in the air. I turned towards her, my eye twitching at how nice she sounded. If the substitute thought of her as an angel I was going to throw up all over this desk.

"No," he replied in monotone as he walked over to the desk and sat down on the chair, looking at something behind me. After hours of him staring over there I slowly turned to see what he was staring at, just to see an empty wall behind me. I turned back and looked towards the front with furrowed eyes- staring straight ahead, but using my peripheral vision to look at him- just to see him smirking in my direction.

He was staring at me.

'But, she also had ang-' another demon said, but stopped abruptly in mid sentence, an ear-piercing scream following.

'We didn't say anyth-' another said, but was cut off by yet another scream, this time coming from that demon.

'We never said anything about the ang-' this time all kinds of different demons were screaming, making me cover my ears and squeeze on them, suddenly feeling really bad for them. If it wasn't for me they wouldn't be getting hurt.