Memory Lane

No one had realised when Alma left her perch to go looking for Mirabel with everyone else. Maybe it was because she needed answers, to say sorry, or that she just knew where her neita was. Night had fallen and now it was day, but not once did anyone pause in their search for the girl.

Lupin had made it clear to them all that Mirabel was in danger of hurting others without control and if anything she was terrified of hurting them. This apparently made it harder for Mirabel to control this obscurial inside her and keep it from hurting someone.

Alma knew the man was wrong though. Alma knew her neita was strong enough to keep from hurting someone. Her neita is strong. She wishes she had said as much to the girl.

For such a old woman she scaled the hills and walked through the large mountain. It's sheer size felt suffocating to her, but not once she did slow down until she came to the river. As she expected that's where she found Mirabel. The poor girl was sobbing so hard her tears were filling the river.

"Mirabel," Alma says softly walking over. Mirabel's breath hitches and she says. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Please I didn't want to hurt anyone," she said. Alma feels tears fill her eyes. Her sweet precious neita, what has she done to her?

Alma sat next to Mirabel looking at her. She never wanted this, she wants to say something, but she doesn't know what to say. What can she say? After everything.

Alma looks out at the river and slowly she says. "I have never been back to this river," she said looking down. "This was where we got our miracle," she reveals. Mirabel looks at Alma. "Where Abuelo Pedro," she began trailing off. Alma looks at her and says. "And where he returned," she says looking out in the distance. "I thought I would be a different woman, I thought I would have a different life," she says. Mirabel leans onto her Abuela slowly and suddenly she feels herself enter Alma's mind.

Immediately she tries to stop herself, but Alma held her hand. "No, you should know, you should see for yourself and make your own opinion, see how I failed you all," she said.

Mirabel watches as flashes of happier times with Abuelo Pedro passed by them. She watches as they came to this river together. Pedro looked back at the attackers and than looked at Alma kissing each of the triplets and than kissing her. Alma was confused and Pedro says. "Keep the magic it will keep you all safe," Before running out. All the other villagers had run while Alma was the only one to witness as a cloaked man shrouded in darkness appears and Pedro put his hands up in surrender. Theres a bright flash of light and Pedro falls into the river lifeless. Alma stares into his eyes, the eyes she had adored and fallen in love with. There was no spark of life to them, none of the warmth she had come to find comfort in, there was nothing of the man she loved. Pedro, her amazing brave nightlight was gone.

Alma screams, it was gut wrenching, all the villagers fleeing heard it and turned back to see her collapsing with her three children as the candle she held fell to the ground, and she falls to the ground clutching her newborns as she screams for her lost husband. She was so lost in her grief she barely registered the hooded man turning onto her. Alma looked up at the demon with red eyes who grinned. "The lions line will end here," he said and raises his hand when suddenly the candle flares. Both looked at it and Alma watches as it flares to life.

It sent the murderer back hundreds of yards and mountains began growing in front of her. Alma watched as she saw the man try and run back in to attack, but it was too late the mountains had grown up all around them, protecting them.

Alma was still crying as she looks at her children than picks up the candle confused, but most of all heart broken as a village looks to her for guidance.

The memory shifts and Mirabel heard the worries of young Alma's mind.

"What if we get sick? What if someone gets hurt we have no medicine,"