4

I was enjoying my day off when Sam rung my phone,

"Hello?"

S: "Hey, could you do me a favor?"

"Yeah, of course."

S: "Listen, I'm set to open for lunch in about 20 minutes and Dawn still hasn't shown up for her shift."

"Aw, Sam, I really need my day off."

S: "No, no, I'm not asking you to come in. I just need you to run by Dawn's and wake her up. She probably just overslept."

"Yeah, I can do that." 

I headed to Dawn's, it wasn't like her to flake on work but like Sam said, she probably just over slept. I knocked on her door, 

"Dawn? It's me, Kym. Honey, you overslept."

I hesitated before trying her front door, it was unlocked, which once again wasn't like her.

"Dawn?"

I heard her alarm beeping, maybe she's just not here... 

I walked to her bedroom, she was sprawled out on the bed, her eyes just open. My heart sank and I let out a scream of pure shock, Dawn was dead.

I heard glass shatter behind me, I let out another scream and spun around to see Jason standing there, equally as terrified. 

"Jason... she... oh my god." I walked to him and he wrapped me into a hug.

J: "It-it's okay, uh-

"Dawn, I heard yelling." Miss Lebvre, Dawn's neighbor now comes walking into the room. "Sweet Lord in heaven, no." she walked closer to the bed, careful not to step on what was left of the vase of flowers Jason had brought in. "What did you do?"

J: "Me?"

"I found her, Miss Lebvre. He didn- he just got here."

Her eyes were angry, if she could set a person on fire with a look Jason would've been deep fried twice over, "I saw you last night, Jason Stackhouse. I heard y'all fighting, then she took a shot at you, and you ran off. And now she's dead!"

"Jason?"

J: "Yeah. We had a fight. But I came here to apologize."

"She fired a gun at you and you come back to apologize?" I was dumbfounded by more than his stupidity, for once.

J: "Kym, I-I didn't do this. You gotta believe me."

"Well, I'm calling the police." Miss Lebvre nearly ran out of the house.

Jason looked at me, tears beginning to pool in his eyes, "I had nothing to do with this."

"I know, J, I know." I couldn't bear to be in that house anymore so we waited for the cops outside. 

When they arrived, they brought us into the living room for questioning, after a while they cuffed Jason and threw him in the back of a squad car.

It looked like all of Bon Temps was outside just watching, waiting for any sort of news like vultures that hadn't eaten in weeks. I stood on the porch, I've got to figure this out, Jason's so stupid the longer he talks the deeper he'll dig whatever hole he's in. 

Sam walked up, "Came as soon as I heard." he sat down next to me. Worry was just oozing off of him, 

"I'm sorry you had to be the one to find her."

"No one more than me..." I just stared at our shoes, someone I really considered a friend was dead.

S: "Oh, I tell you, Kym, sometimes I don't even recognize this world we're living in. I mean, goddamn it..."