5

I went to work the next morning, just reeling over Bill and I's fight. Was it a fight? I mean did I mess up or was he being sensitive? As if I'll find out... 

I was wiping off the bar while Arlene was making some drinks. 

A: "How'd last night go?" 

"Okay, I guess." 

A: "Vamp bar not all it turned out to be, huh? I hear there's a lot of freaks there, and a lot of people from Arkansas."

"It was fine." 

A: "So what then? Did that vampire get all handsy with you? You know I'd have Rene kick his butt for you." 

"Arlene, as sweet as that is, I can take care of myself. But no... I won't be goin' out with him again." 

Sam and Arlene shared a 'ooh I told her so' look, 

"Okay, yes that place was kind of freaky but I had to go, okay?"

Sam threw his hands up, "I said my piece yesterday." 

A: "Well, I'm sorry it didn't turn out like you'd hoped, but better it happens now than before you end up hurt, or dead." she walked away with her tray of drinks and Sam slid into her place. 

S; "I hope you're not too flipped out to miss the Descendants of the Glorious Dead tonight." 

"No, I gotta go, Gran spent all week on it."

S: "Good, cuz, uh, I was gonna ask if you wanna go with me. Maybe we'll go grab a cup of coffee or somethin' after." 

Is he really asking me on a non-platonic date!? Oh my god, he is, isn't he... 

Shit okay, I can play it cool... I think.

"Sam Merlotte, if I didn't know any better I'd say you were asking me out on a date..." I smiled, knowing that he probably practiced this in the mirror before coming in today. 

S: "Maybe you don't know better, cuz, I am. That's pretty much how I do it. Sometimes they even say yes." He smiled back at me, looking nervous.

I glanced down the bar to every pair of eyes in earshot staring, "Everyone's lookin' at us..." 

S: "I know, so you'd better say yes." 

"Hell, I'd love to.' 

"Great." he smiled before turning to everyone, "Eyes back on your food people." 

I was so excited to go home and get ready. For the first time in a long time I tried on every outfit and every hairstyle I could. I felt nervous and excited at the same time, when I went out with Bill it felt nothing like this. It felt more like I was just supposed to go, like I knew exactly what to wear and how to do my hair. But this time I was actually worried about impressing Sam... God help me.

---

Sam picked me up, "Wow, you look... wow." 

I laughed, "You look really nice, too." 

---

We arrived at the church, Gran was handing out some pamphlets. 

"Oh look at all these people!"

G: "I know, isn't it wonderful! Well, Sam Merlotte, what a nice surprise." 

S: "When Kym told me she was coming here alone, I thought it'd be a shame if she came without an escort." 

G: "Well, how very gentlemanly of you."

"Okay, we're sitting down now." I pulled him away as fast as I could, I can only imagine the embarrassing things she'd manage to come up with.