31.

"That was embarrassing," Mrs. Lee scoffed in annoyance, stepping into the parking lot.

The Lees were heading out from Teen Vogue Korea headquarters, after an interview with the casting director. Haechan was used to this type of unexpected meeting, usually, it was her mother or her agent the ones that arranged the endorsements without asking for his opinion. 

At some point, he started feeling more like a product than a person in front of his mother.

Haechan was following her closely, along with her assistant and some bodyguards. His jaw was tensed, and his fist clenched resting on both sides of his body. A heavy sigh left his lips while he used all his might to control his actions. 

Running away seemed like a tempting option at that moment, he didn't want to be there. 

He never wanted to be around her.

"Replaced by a rookie, ha! I told you to take care of your skin, but you didn't listen. I told you to take care of your weight, but you didn't listen, again. I'm not letting you lead any photo shoot until you recover your shape," his mother said while approaching the car.

The driver opened the door for her and closed it after she entered. Haechan just stared at the woman, trying too hard not to show how much her words affected him. Even though he had been listening to her harsh words all his life, they still affected him like the first day. 

They were engraved on his mind: he was never enough, and he would never be.

His gaze followed the car until it exited the parking lot. Haechan quickly turned his head to the guards that his mother had left with him.

"My keys," he demanded, extending his hand to one of them.

"But Mrs. Lee said-"

"I said my fucking keys," he gritted shooting a cold glance at the man, who just gulped and gave him the keys.

Haechan took the keys and rapidly entered his car. Starting the engine, Haechan exited the parking lot too but headed in the opposite direction his mother's car did.

Hitting the gas, the boy drove around the city as if the streets were his racing court. His sight was blurred by anger, range, and a little bit of sadness.

He stepped on the accelerator and pressed the steering wheel as if that would relieve all the rage he had inside.

"You'll never be good enough."

"You're too weak."

"That's not the son I spent my time raising."

"Try not to be a disappointment this time." 

"You're just like him, what a disgrace."

Those words circled his head as he drove. He had already memorized them. No matter how many years had passed or how hard he tried to overcome it, her words were always able to hurt him.

Without noticing it, he parked in front of a familiar place. Turning off the engine, his hand smacked the steering wheel multiple times, trying to calm his anger.

Haechan got off the car and stared at the door of the house. Noticing the situation, a wave of regret hit his body. Hesitantly his steps walked forward, nevertheless, he stopped on his way.

"This is ridiculous, what am I even doing here?"