48.

This chapter contains mentions of death, if you feel uncomfortable with it or get trigged by it you can skip it until you see the sign (🕰). Always prioritize your mental health.

"...and then he told me we are going to Jeju together after he's discharged," an almost eight-year-old Donghyuck said to his friends, bouncing excitedly while the group was making their way to the classroom. "We are going to celebrate my birthday on the beach and eat lots of delicious food!" The boy's eyes had a spark of joy in them just by thinking about how much fun it-d be to travel with his dad.

The other three kids smiled at him. They were so happy to hear that great news, even more so after having witnessed first-hand the suffering that Donghyuck and his family had gone through in the past few weeks. 

The news of Mr. Lee being hospitalized in an emergency took everyone by surprise – well, almost everyone. Mrs. Lee's reaction wasn't what all people were expecting, nevertheless that didn't make her children any better. The day his father was admitted, Dohee had to spend all her time consoling a Donhyuck who seemed to have no comfort.

However, as days passed the doctor started bringing better and better news about Mr. Lee's condition, giving all the family the hope they were wishing for. Everything became brighter when just one week ago the doctor allowed the family to visit the patient.

The first thing little Donghyuck did was throw himself into his dad's arms, being received with a reciprocal feeling.

"That sound's so fun! Can we go with you?" Jaemin asked his friend while taking their seats. "I want to go to Jeju too!"

Jeno and the newest member of their group, a little Chinese boy that went by the name of Renjun, nodded in agreement.

"I'll ask my dad when I see him today. I'm sure he will agree! We will have so much fun!" The boy squealed in excitement. The four kids high-fived each other in celebration.

Soon after that, the teacher arrived and the class started. Everything was going, as usual, the teacher explaining the lesson while the students were paying attention and taking notes. Nevertheless, this day was far from being like any other. At least not for Donghyuck.

Three knocks on the door interrupted the explanation, bringing the focus toward the person standing at the entrance of the classroom.

"My apologies, Mrs. Ju, but I'm going to need student Lee Donghyuck to take his belongings and come with me," the principal said, earning puzzled looks from the students, especially from the group of four. Donghyuck wasn't the type of student that got in trouble, the total opposite, he was indeed a top student.

A confused Donghyuck obeyed and followed the principal's steps.

"Am I in trouble, sir?" The small kid asked innocently, looking up at the elder. The latter just looked at him tenderly, with a glimpse of sadness.

"No, Donghyuck, you're not in trouble. Your mother is here to pick you up."

"Pick me up? But I have two periods left," the kid answered, slightly frowning. 

"You will leave early today."

The principal escorted the student outside the school, where they met the kid's mother and, surprisingly, his older sister too.

The now more confused kid just followed his mother inside the car and remained silent during the ride. His mind was busy trying to remember if he had done something wrong.