Chapter 2 - Monday, July 31: New Girl

To say that I was nervous when I pulled up my old VW in front of Highridge would have been an understatement. Everywhere I looked, were rows and rows of expensive polished cars. Mine was by far the oldest and least shiny one, as I painfully realized. I never cared much about appearances, but I also never stood out of the crowd as much as I did today. And I cared about that more than I was ready to admit to myself.

As I got out of the car and swung my bag over the shoulder, it felt like everyone's eyes were on me. I pulled on my skirt again and adjusted my blazer. After a glance around, I knew the uniform worked in my favor, though. I wore the same uniform as all the other girls around me. Otherwise, I'd not just be, but also look like the poorest girl around.

But I was not one of them. They all knew each other and had grown up together in their bubble, far away from the faceless masses. Their fathers played golf together. Their mothers went to the same hairdressers and fashion shows. I would be the new girl. The girl whose most expensive possession was this very same old car.

I raised my head high and began walking toward the entrance. Best they know from the beginning that I am not someone they can mess with. I know how the world worked, my father made sure of it. "Show them you are an Alpha," he'd say to me often as I was growing up. At my former high school, there was no need for that. Most had known me since I was a kid and long gone were the days when I had to stand my ground with anyone.

This was new territory, but I figured the rules were everywhere the same.

From the "Guide to Highridge", I knew that the school had been built in the early 1900s, and since its beginnings, it was meant to be a state-of-the-art educational institution for the offspring of the elite. It was the first time I was on its grounds, though. Only now it finally dawned on me that I was one of the Highridge students. Two months ago I would have thought being here was a zero-chance possibility. I would have laughed if I wasn't feeling the chills running up and down my spine. This was it. I was here and I had work to do.

As I entered the main hallway, I looked about. It was full of kids of all ages and everyone seemed to be talking at once. At my old school, I would have been greeted by a lot of friendly faces right now, people I grew up with. Here, I knew nobody.

The school lobby was dominated by a huge staircase leading to the upper levels. I gave the sheet in my hand another glance. It had the Headmaster's office's room number on it. As a recipient of a scholarship, I was expected to see him on my first day.

I found the right room with "Headmaster Hinch" written in large letters on it. I knocked, half hoping that he'd be anywhere but in his office. It was the first day of school after all. But I heard someone's steps approaching and the door swung open.

"And you must be Hope Collins," he said, more stating the obvious than asking a question. Headmaster Hinch was in his 50s and he had a kind smile. Glasses with an elegant frame decorated his nose and he wore an expensive suit that fit him well. But I shouldn't have been surprised. A Headmaster of a school like Highridge would be making way more money than the principal at the public school I attended before. "I recognize you from the pictures. I never forget a face," he said looking me up and down, which made me slightly uncomfortable. He stepped aside, letting me pass through.

"Thank you," I said looking about. It was a well-lit office. Through the huge window, I could see the school grounds. One side of the room was filled with books. His impeccably clean desk was "adorned" with a large computer screen. Every piece of furniture looked expensive. My old school's principal would kill for an office like this.

"We have a few scholarship kids here," he said with a smile still all over his face. "I won't lie, some are coping better than others. As much as it pains me to say, Highridge can be not a very welcoming place for a Scholarship recipient. My advice would be to keep your head down. I know you've been a good student at your old school. Do your best here and you should be fine, Hope. "