Chapter 18 Wed, Aug 9th: I'm betting on you

I was exhausted after barely catching any sleep last night. And the very first class I had was literature where Blake and the others would be.

I was surprised to find Liam waiting for me at the entrance. He looked so pleased to see me. Could one fake that? I smiled at him, but it felt like I was the one faking it this time.

"Rough night?" He asked and I just nodded. "Would a kiss help?"

"Maybe," I replied. I loved our natural playfulness with each other. This is not something I ever had with Jake. His smile warmed up my heart again. I needed more than just a comment from Justin to destroy what we had now. Things might not be easy, but I was willing to fight for Liam and me. We were good for each other.

I was infatuated with him. As simple as that. And he had been nothing but good with me. I felt like we were building something really beautiful together. And I wanted more of this. I wanted more of him. Of us. I decided I was gonna wait for the right moment to ask him. Surely there must be a good explanation for it.

"What are you doing here? I didn't think you were in this class."

"Now I am. I won't leave you alone with them." We both knew who he was talking about.

Liam gave me his hand and we walked into the classroom together and I immediately stopped in my tracks. Someone had written "Hope = slut" on the board. Just then Blake, Josh, and Frank came in.

It hurt seeing those words. I gave Blake an accusing look, and there was more pain in it than I cared to admit. I wanted to be strong and pretend like this doesn't get to me, but it did. I was grateful to Liam when he simply walked up to the board and wiped the hurtful words away.

Ignoring everyone as much as I could, I headed for my seat in the back. Liam followed me and took a seat beside me.

She'd almost fooled me when she looked at me with those huge eyes of hers filled with pain. I almost took pity on her. But then she snapped back to her "I couldn't care less" and the pity party was over.

She was really good. I took my seat behind my desk and turned to face Josh.

"I assume that was your idea."

"Maybe..." he replied.

"And putting a confetti bomb in her locker yesterday as well?"

He looked at his fingernails as if he had nothing to do with that.

"You know, I usually don't like getting my hands dirty. A few girls offered to help, so I let them."

Of course. Leave it to the women to call the other "slut'".

"Mr. Jackfield," Liam said as soon as the teacher arrived. "I'd like to be paired up with Hope." A shimmer of hope spread around my heart.

But Mr. Jackfield's reply destroyed it right away.

"I'm sure you would, Liam," Mr. Jackfield said eyeing the two of us. "But I don't like animosities in my class. I'd prefer Blake and Hope to work out their differences. I think we all would benefit from that."

"But..." I began looking from Mr. Jackfield to Blake. Blake looked like he didn't care one way or another.

"No "buts". Liam, glad you are joining our class too. We have a group of three. Choose someone to work with." Mr Jackfield gave the class an evaluating look. "Listen up everyone, you have been paired up, now go find your partners and from now on you will always be sitting together."

Jeez. Sitting next to Blake every Wednesday for the rest of the semester. Everything inside of me hated the idea!

"Just so you know, I'm betting on you," Liam said with a smile and went to find a partner.