Chapter 13 Saturday, August 5th: Would you like it with poison?

On the next day, the whole hell broke loose. As soon as I woke up, I found my phone filled with missed calls and messages from by friends. Some to congratulate me, some to demand to know how my photo landed in the tabloids.

Someone had taken a picture of Blake and me by the pool. If was taken the moment before he'd pushed me into the water. It looked like we were in a lovey-dovey embrace. His one arm around my shoulder and the other on my hip, the two of us looked in a gaze. Without knowing the context of what had truly just transpired between us, it did look like there was something going on between us.

Jake called and yelled at me, asking me how I could have done that to him. I didn't even try explaining myself. The picture told a very different story. And that is what others chose to believe.

All throughout the week, my friends messaged me every day wanting to know how things at the new school had been for me. All I offered was that it was all great. I was embarrassed to admit to anyone how things truly stood. This photo only cemented the belief that things could not have been better for me. I chose not to contradict them.

I was almost relieved when my friend Lisa called me. This could only mean one thing - she partied too long last night.

"Hope, you gotta help me," she moaned as soon as I answered the call. "Please, please, jump in at "Happy Sundays" for me today."

"Happy Sundays" was a fancy restaurant that Lisa worked for on the East side of town. It just so happened that she liked going out a lot and sometimes she'd get too caught up with some guy and forget all about work on the next day. I jumped in for her a few times before and everyone knew me there.

"Again?"

"It's the last time, I swear," she assured me over the phone. I could hear music in the background. Sounded like she was at some after-party.

"What time?" I asked. I had taken this weekend off from the diner, so I'd have time to catch up on school stuff. But maybe going to work today would do me good. Better than staying at home and dwelling on how horrible my week had been. Her job paid good money plus tips. I was keen to get the money back that I spent on Highridge uniforms.

"Starting at 9.30 until 2pm." I looked at my watch. It was just 8.30am. If I hurry, I'd have enough time to get ready and drive there. So I agreed.

Some time later I pulled up in front of the restaurant and the work began. It was a hugely popular place by the beach and the hours were passing by rather quickly. Lisa's boss didn't mind me jumping in again. He had tried to recruit me a few times, but I preferred the diner. It was just around the corner of my house and I liked the surfer crowd and the tourists more than bowing to the rich snobs on the East side.

It was almost 1.30pm when an elderly lady walked in. She was dressed impeccably and wore the bare minimum of makeup, not like some of the others around here that were her age.

"A table for two," she told me. "My grandson is just parking the car and will be here in a minute."

"Happy to help, mam," I told her and guided her to one of the tables in my section that just got freed up at the terrace. I helped her take a seat and as I turned to get the menus, I found myself face to face with no other than Blake!

"You again!" I told him with as much ice in my voice as I could master. I was still very angry about what had happened the night before.

"I could say the same. Are you stalking me?"

"The world doesn't revolve around you, you know. I was here first. How about you go somewhere else? I am sure that there are plenty of restaurants here that would be more to your liking."