Chapter 14 Sunday, August 6th: The beach

As agreed, Liam came to pick me up in his convertible the next day.

"We gotta hurry, or else we will miss it," he said as soon as I got into the car.

"Where are we going?" I asked. He had a polo shirt and shorts on, and looked hot.

"You will see. It's my secret spot." He gave me a mischievous smile that melted my heart and made me blush.

I pulled huge sunglasses from my bag and put them on. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"I thought I dress up," I replied smiling back at him.

"Let's go then," and we pulled out. Liam took the highway out of the city and we drove for a long time along the coast.

Liam was in a good mood and very funny. I don't know when was the last time I laughed so much. Maybe since before Jackie's accident? How I wished she was here with us. She loved road trips like this. Ever since we got our driving licenses, she was driving us up and down the coast looking for the best waves to surf. I missed those times. I felt tears welling up in the corners of my eyes about all the things Jackie would never get to do again.

We talked about our lives and Liam wasn't holding back. He told me he lost his younger brother when he was twelve. I wanted to tell him that I knew. That I was there at the hospital when his brother died. But it seemed like he still didn't remember me and I just didn't want to be the one telling him - hey, do you remember the time my mother and your brother had cancer and we were at the hospital and we lost them both?

I don't know why, but I wanted him to remember me on his own accord. To know that I mattered to him enough back then that he would remember me even 6 years later. Like I did...

"I'm sorry about what happened at the party. About Frank and Carl. They can be such idiots."

"It's all right. I will get back at them. Don't you worry."

"Will you tell your father about it?"

"I have not decided yet... I could have died there in that pool. That they'd be capable of something like this."

"Do you regret coming to Highridge?"

"Maybe..." I replied. "But I won't back down. They'd need to try harder." I looked out of the window. I have risked already too much to turn back now. Besides, my pride would not allow me to give up. I could handle them. I know I could.

"We're almost there," he said and took a dirt road off the main highway leading to the ocean.

"Can't wait to see what it is all about," I replied. When we finally stopped and I got out of the car, I realized that this was probably one of the most beautiful beaches in these parts and I had seen many around.

"How did you find this place?"

"Let's just say the location of this beach has been secretly passed down to me. And I never bring people here. So you can consider yourself special," he said with a wink in his eyes.

Was I special to him? We only truly met a few days ago. I wondered if he had brought Jessica here. I felt a pang in my heart. Jessica was part of his past, and I'd have to find a way to make peace with it, I knew that.

Liam helped me pull my surfboard off of the car. Our hands touched for a brief moment, and it felt like a jolt of energy shoot through my body. I wondered if he felt the same.

I couldn't believe my luck as I followed Liam to the beach. If you had told me a week ago that I'd be spending time with Liam, going surfing with him, all alone, I'd never believed this. It all seems too good to be true. It was the happiest I felt in months. Was it wrong for me to be this happy when Jackie was fighting for her life? But I also knew that she would have been happy for me. And this past week has been one of the hardest weeks I had in my life.

"At this time of the day, we can catch the best waves here," meanwhile Liam explained. I looked at the ocean and could not wait to get in.

When I took off my dress and stood there in my bikini, I caught Liam's eying me up and down. It wasn't the red one. The red one I didn't trust anymore around guys. By the twinkle in his eyes, I could see there was admiration. He came closer and helped me get into my wetsuit. I could feel his fingers linger on my skin a few moments longer than necessary. There was something exciting about it. The promise, the anticipation of something that could be between us. I felt the tension between us beginning to build up. I was almost relieved when we finally hit the water.

We swam out side by side and it felt like the most normal thing to do. As if Liam and I had done this together for many lifetimes. We rode the waves together and jumped right back in. I haven't had so much fun surfing since I last Jackie and I were in the ocean together.

Turns out, Liam had brought a packed lunch for us. So we ate and watched the ocean. Forgotten were the events of the last few days.

When I turned to look at Liam again, he was looking back at me and there was a strange expression on his face.

"What if I kissed you?" He asked. I don't think I could have spoken even if I wanted, so all I could do was just nod.

Was this truly happening? I got goosebumps all over my body and it was as if time stood still.

And just like that, Liam leaned in and his lips were on mine. With Jake, things had been different. He never made my heart skip a beat. His touch never made my blood boil. It was nothing compared to what I was now feeling with Liam.

And this is how I knew that it has always been Liam. Nobody could make me feel the way he made me feel.

And Liam kissed me so gently, so beautifully. I practically melted in his embrace. And I wanted this moment to never end. Things were getting hot between us and if he hadn't pulled himself off of me, I wasn't sure I would have had the will to stop him.

"I know you might not like it, but there is this party I need to go to today. I was wondering if you would perhaps want to join me?"

"A party? Where?" I was still flushed from his kisses and would have gone with him to the edge of the world right now.

"There is a beach house up ahead and some friends are getting together."

"And by friends, you mean Blake and the others?"

"I promised I'd be there before I thought of asking you out today. It is ok if you don't want. I can drive you back home."

"No, that's ok. I'd need to face them again anyways. And maybe a beach is a better playground for that than the school. At least here I can break their noses without fearing suspension."

"That's my girl," he said leaning in for another kiss. My mind went spinning. Liam just called me his "girl" and I just had one of the best mornings of my life.

And Blake and his friends could go to hell for all I cared!