Chapter 11 - Friday, August 4th: Where is Jessica?

Considering how eventful my first four days at school were, Friday was almost boring. I kept avoiding Blake and his friends at any cost. And even spent the lunch break hiding in the ladies' room. Pathetic, I know. I wasn't sure how much Blake's words could be trusted and didn't want to risk finding out what he meant by "maybe".

But... while hiding at the ladies' I did hear something very interesting for me to ponder about.

"Jessica is such a bitch," I heard some girl come in and say with a very posh voice. I heard two pairs of heels clicker through the restroom floor.

"Yeah, she is probably chilling somewhere in Hawaii while we are stuck here at school," said another. "I still can't believe that she just left without telling you anything. I thought you were best friends."

"Best friends my arse. Jessica does what she wants and doesn't care about what anybody else thinks or feels."

"I just find it suspicious. She's never gone dark. Every single day of her life is on social media. I'm telling you. She is in rehab. That's the only explanation."

"Why Rehab? She is no drug addict. Not a psycho either. Guys and sex are her only problem."

"Why wouldn't she reply to your messages then? Don't you think it's strange?"

"I do. But she only ever messaged when she needed something. I guess she doesn't need anything from me anymore."

"Maybe she found new friends and we are just old news to her?"

"That would be such a Jessica thing to do. And we should move on too. Besides, that makes Liam finally single for good."

"She'd kill you if she found out."

"You know what, I couldn't care less about what Jessica thinks anymore. He'll be there tonight at Blake's. I think I'll make a move." And the girl laughed.

"He is hot. Not as hot as Blake. But..."

"You and your Blake."

"I know. What can I say? He is the best around here."

"He is so obsessed with that cop's daughter."

"Why would they ever let someone like her into a school like ours? Jeez. Why wouldn't she just pack up and leave?"

"Frank says she'd be there tonight and they are planning a few surprises for her."

"That would be fun," the other replied.

"By the way, are you still screwing Frank?"

"Well, yes, sometimes. I am single after all."

"But Frank is just so... dumb."

"But he makes an effort if you know what I mean," replied the girl and they both laughed as they headed for the door.

I thought a lot about what they said. Now that I started putting the two and two together, a suspicion began to rise in me. What is Jessica had anything to do with the accident?

She had disappeared from the local fashion scene shortly after Jackie's accident. The official story was that she traveled abroad which was nothing unusual. But based on what I gathered today, I different story was emerging. Why would she ghost her friends?

I thought of all the pictures from that night of her and Liam arguing. She could have been the one driving that night. And it would make sense for her to put a huge distance between herself and the accident.

She, like everyone else, had a waterproof alibi. But suddenly I could not shake off the feeling that she could have had something to do with Jackie's accident.