Chapter 10 - Thursday, August 3rd: There are places guys go to. Alone.

As soon as I pulled up in the parking lot on day four at the infernal school, Carter was already waiting for me.

"I loved your little stunt yesterday," he announced as soon as I got out. He gave me a huge smile, looking at me as if he just met his new superhero.

"You don't say," I replied with barely contained sarcasm. "That reminds me," I said pulling out a bag with the green dress. "Could you give that back to your cousin?" I asked. I didn't want Blake to accuse me I had stolen something from him.

"Of course. I like your ride, by the way," he said, eying my car.

"Thanks," I replied giving him a glance. I liked him even though he was Blake's cousin. Carter was a copy of his mother. He was tall, with strikingly dark blond hair that seemed to glimmer in the sun, framing his still boyish features and piercing blue eyes. Carter seemed to be quite a friendly kid, at that. The epitome of a golden boy with a charming smile. Like he didn't have any evil bone in him. He had a lean and athletic build. And despite his handsome looks, he came across as easygoing and approachable. Very different from his cousin.

"Do you know how to drive?" I asked. I wondered what the chances were of him having driven a car on the night Jackie was hit. I couldn't count him out just because he was 15, nor his sister, for that matter.

"Well, Blake taught me how to drive some time ago. I'm not allowed to drive officially yet and I don't have a car. I guess I could take you around the parking lot sometime in your car," he said and looked at me hopefully.

"No, thanks. And your sister?"

"I don't think she'll be getting her license anytime soon. She prefers being driven around. She says it's better for the environment, although I am not sure I understand her logic. I think she is just afraid and doesn't want to admit it."

"I see." This was a dead-end.

"So will you come to my birthday party next weekend?" He asked giving me his best smile.

"Still not interested," I replied. And I wasn't.

"Is it because of Blake? He is all noise, but he'd never hurt a girl. Trust me."

"It surely doesn't look that way. So forget it."

"Oh come on! I think you are the coolest girl I've ever met."

"You don't know me."

"All I know is that not that many girls would dare to climb into Blake's room dressed up like a ninja." I heard admiration in his voice.

"Did you tell him that?"

"Of course I did. I think he was quite impressed. And Blake doesn't get impressed that easily. Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Don't even think about it."

"Well, one can hope."

The bell rang and I used it as a cue to make my escape.

"Bye, Carter," I told him, heading up the stairs.

"I'll put you on the guest list," he called after me. I rolled my eyes. I wasn't even sure if I'd be still here tomorrow. Not so long as his cousin had a say in it. Next weekend seemed to me like light-years away.

I was at my locker, stuffing my books in, when I heard someone say, "You are in a lot of trouble." I almost jumped, half expecting "a lot of trouble" to already be upon me.

I turned, only to find myself face to face with no other than Claire Riley. She looked all happy and bright like sunshine. Not even one grey cloud in her world. Her hair was pulled into a high ponytail and she had a few books in her hands. "You're a bit fidgety," she observed, giving me a friendly smile.