Chapter 23 - Fri, Aug 11: What do you desire more - love or money?

It was Friday, and I sat in the library, catching up on my projects, when Blake walked in and planted himself down across from me. He looked all annoyed like he didn't even want to be here. But now, under the daylight, it looked more like an act to me.

"So what's the plan?" he asked.

"We will be meeting twice a week for an hour and working on this project."

"All right, let's meet at my..."

"We will only be meeting here. I will not be spending any minute with you alone. It might be safer that way for the both of us."

"It's not like I was inviting you to my room," he replied with a twinkle in his eyes.

I raised my brow at that.

"You really wanna go that way?" I asked. He gave me a fake smile.

"Are we moody today?"

"I am always moody when you are around."

"Well, good thing luck was on your side last night. So you get to spend more time with me." And he gave me again one of those smiles like he knew something I didn't.

"Want me to throw at you another book to wipe out that smile, or are you ready to start working?"

"You are the boss."

With that, he stood up and walked up to one of the shelves. I watched him pull out "Whuthering Hights" from the shelf and was surprised to see that he knew exactly where that book was located. He caught my gaze and raised a brow like there was nothing amiss in the world.

"What?" He asked approaching the desk again.

"I think I will write the version of the book where Catherine hates Heathcliff for being a pompous, good-for-nothing snob," I said with a smile.

"Then I will write a version where Heathcliff despises Catherine for being a notorious gold digger."

"Fine."

"Fine."

I watched Blake pull out his computer. It looked different from the one he had at home, I noticed. He followed my gaze.

"Don't even think about it. If anyone of us catches the other snooping around our things, this deal is off."

"All right. What do you have to hide anyways, right?"

"Stay away from my things."

"And you stay away from mine," I said pulling my phone closer to me.

I caught sight of the librarian, Mrs. Parkins watching us with interest. I gave her a friendly smile, and put all my attention on the empty page on the laptop screen before me.

Half an hour passed sitting across from Blake. I couldn't help but study him. He would pick up the book, read through a few pages and then frantically type for a while.

Catherine hates Heathcliff. That should be easy. I looked at Blake again to get more inspiration. He could be such a perfect Heathcliff. Black hair, tanned skin. Dark eyes, long lashes. Prominent cheekbones.

"What do you want?" Blake asked.

"Just wondering what would make Heathcliff such a resentful and hateful person. Maybe you could enlighten me?"

"Only if you enlighten me what made Catherine such a gold digger."

"Can I ask you anything I want?" I said closing my laptop and folding my arms before my chest.