Chapter 15 Sunday, August 6th: Stepping on broken glass

It was probably another 5 minute drive when we turned off the road and pulled up to a beautiful beach house. There were tall old trees leading all the way up to it, giving the house a protective shade.

We got out of the car and walked inside. It was a truly gorgeous house and it was a certain feminine touch to it. Liam pulled me after him through the back door and before us, another white sand beach emerged. The sun was high and it continued to be a perfect beach-weather day.

There was music and people in bathing suits all around. I could see many familiar faces from school. Some were surfing, others were just lazing around on beach chairs.

"He'll kill you," said Josh as he passed by us with his girlfriend Julie in tow, giving Liam a meaningful look before eyeing me up and down. "What's up, ponytail?"

At that, Julie giggled and they continued walking up to the house. I glanced around. At least there was no sight of Frank. That gave me a little bit of relief.

"Don't worry," said Liam and pulled me after him. There was something comforting about the way he held my hand in his. Still, a nagging feeling in me kept telling me that I should not be here.

"Liam, whose house is it?" I asked. But Liam didn't get a chance to answer me.

"What the fuck, Liam!" I heard a familiar voice ringing with anger. Everything in me went cold. It felt like I'd been caught red-handed again. It was Blake and he was getting upon his feet now. The same girl from the party the other day was in his lap and she jumped up too. She was looking at me like a snake ready to kill a mouse.

All I wanted to do was to hide behind Liam.

"Liam, I wanna leave right now," I told him with a shaking voice.

"Hope, I really like you," Liam replied. He put his hands on my shoulders and our eyes met. "Do you trust me?"

When he was this close to me, all I could see were his lips, which were just on my lips a few minutes ago. I wanted to trust him. So I nodded.

"She is with me now," Liam announced loud enough so everyone would hear. And then he leaned in and kissed me, just like that, in front of all of his friends. I swear I almost fainted.

"You are such a fucking bastard," said Blake moving toward us. The closer he got, the more nervous it made me. I probably really shouldn't be here. In one of his houses again. "A word," Blake told Liam when he passed by us. He didn't bother seeing if Liam was following him. He knew he would.

"Let me deal with him," Liam told me. There was a mischievous look on his face. I hoped Liam knew what he was doing.

I watched Liam follow Blake in the house, not sure what to do.

"Hope, you are here," I heard someone say in surprise. It was Carter. He pulled me into a hug like we were best friends. I was relieved to see another friendly face. "Wanna catch a wave with me?"

I nodded. I wanted to get away from the crowd that wasn't too welcoming to me. Carter grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me after him. Hegave me one of the spare surfboards and I looked at the one he had.

"Is that the surfboard you got from Blake?"

"Yes, isn't it awesome? It was specially made for Blake according to his specifications. And Blake is the best surfer around."

"I doubt that, 'cause that would be me," I replied matter-of-factly.

"You don't say!" Carter exclaimed. "Show me then." Together we ran into the water.

"Carter," I said as soon as we were far enough from anybody else. "If you don't mind me asking. What is going on with Liam and Blake? Their friendship seems rather weird."