His Favorite Mistake

After Chris's testimony, the judge dismisses them for the day

After Chris's testimony, the judge dismisses them for the day.  Becca walks out with Robert, talking about tomorrow.  Rick is fuming and goes up to them. "You lied!"

"Dad..."

"No Rebecca, you lied.  You said nothing was going on.  You said..."

"What I needed to say to protect him."

Rick's face is starting to become red with rage.  "I told you, no football players."

"I know."  Becca keeps her head up.

"And you just disregarded everything.  You are ruining your future and Charlie's because you decided..."

"To fall in love," Rebecca cuts him off. "I fell in love with him Daddy.  He makes me and Charlie very happy.  Isn't that great? Your daughter found a great man and fell in love."

"No.  The last time you fell in "love," he left you with Charlie. Look at where we are now."

"That's not fair." Becca choked back tears.

Chris had enough.  He came up to Becca and Rick.  "Mr. Rooney, please..."

"You.  You are benched, Evans.  I told you to stay away from my daughter."

"You can't do that, Dad. This isn't his fault."

"I don't care.  I can and I will make sure he is benched form now on. I don't care what impact it has on the team.  I told you," he pointed at Chris, "that if you pursued this that I would end your career. You are finished here in Pittsburgh. You will dress and you will sit."

Chris stood tall, his six-foot two-inch frame not bending.  "Fine. Rebecca is worth it.  Charlie is worth it.  I will end my season with the Steelers and then I'll put my degree to use to support Becca and Charlie. Because I love them with every fiber of my being."

"Chris, wait..."

Chris turned to Becca and held her face.  "You are worth it, Angel. Trust me." He kissed her forehead and pulled her away from her father, leaving Rick standing there watching as the tears streamed down his daughter's face.

Chris takes Becca home as Sebastian drives Becca's car home. She hadn't realized he was in the court room holding Lizzy's hand. She held onto Chris's hand the entire time, afraid if she let go, he would disappear.  He should disappear after the way she treated him.  But all he does is rub his thumb over her knuckles.  When he gets to his house, she finally lets his hand go and he comes to open her door. He reaches in and pulls her into his arms.  "I'm not going anywhere Angel.  I told you, I'd find a way to get back to you."

A fresh set of tears falls, and he picks her up and carries her to his home.  Once inside, he sits her on the couch as he gets Dodger settled and make a couple of calls.

"Anthony, its Chris."

Hey man.  How did it go?

"She told the court she is in love with me. And then they hauled me up there."