Chapter Nineteen

The VanOrden mansion was beautifully decorated for Christmas.

There was no surprise, of course, from what I've seen on his mother's Instagram page; she is very much into DIY and decor, but what else is a rich widowed housewife who doesn't need to work going to do with her free time?

The family driver pulled up to the house, and my brother got out, walked around the car, and opened the door for me. We both stood in the driveway for a few moments, staring at the mansion. It was much more modern than ours but still had that classic look.

"Why did I let you talk me into doing this?" I mumbled, glancing up at my big brother as we walked up the stone path. Since we lived in Texas, there's no snow on the ground, although it's mid-December. 

"Because you love me, and you love that our family has money. Once I close this deal with Jack, we will get more of it."

I rolled my eyes, "Most of my problems are because our family lives in high society. I would be comfortable living in Middle Class. Maybe in a nice neighborhood in California." 

He sighed, knowing I was right. 

We made our way to the front door, and Jeremiah handed our invitation to the security guard, who looked at a list on the clipboard and looked back up at the two of us,

"Take the first staircase on the right; that's where Mr. VanOrden wants you two."

My brother nodded in thanks, and the two of us made our way inside, "Mr. VanOrden? Jack's father?" I asked him quietly as we walked up the stairs.

He shook his head, "His father died like three years ago, and Jack now owns the Bank Empire."

I didn't get a chance to reply as a man walked over to me, "May I take your shawl, Miss?" I recognized him from the last time I was at a VanOrden event; he was their head of the house.

I was wearing a white fuzzy shawl over my dress, made of faux rabbit fur, as my dress was rather risque for such a formal event. I took off the cloak and handed it to the head of the house and noticed my brother had already joined the party, probably searching for Jack so he could seal the deal and go home.

I walked in, and a waiter walked over to me, handing over a glass of champagne, and I noticed that I was getting lots of stares from men and women alike.

Was the dress too much for a Christmas Party? Definitely, but Jeremiah wanted me to impress Jack VanOrden, so there I was; a sexy dress on, makeup done, and I was in a social mood.

That last part doesn't happen very often.

I walked around the party, mostly admiring the decor and how beautiful the home was, but a girl sitting at a table in the corner alone caught my attention.

Making my way over, I noticed that she was in a wheelchair, watching the other teens and young adults dancing from the balcony that looked down to the first floor. I stopped next to her, and she looked up at me, confused.

"Do you mind if I sit with you?" I asked, and her eyes lit up.

"Wait, you're Rotten Royale! Yes, please join me." She gestured to the chair across from her.

I was surprised that she knew who I was, but I took a seat anyways, "You know who I am?"

She nodded enthusiastically, "I do! I watch your videos and live streams, listening to your music. So I'm a bit of a superfan, you could say."

I noticed the pink tint on her cheeks, and I smiled, "Well, it's always lovely meeting a fan."

It clicked as I remembered Jack and I's conversation from my family's Thanksgiving party. This girl was his sister!