Before

The air was warm and wet, causing sweat to stick to LuxShield's skin instead of falling away. But now was not the time to care about how gross the weather made him feel. There were far more important things to worry about. Like stopping the robbery at ConCorp. He was new to this hero business and needed a win.

Sirens and shouting voices cut through the thick air. LuxShield ducked around a corner and climbed up a fire escape to sneak past the officers guarding the entrance. Soon, the officers would know better than to get in his way, but for now, he was stuck to quick hiding and entering only through back doors.

After jumping onto a balcony on one of the higher floors, thank Notch these businessmen like their fresh air, he picked the lock and entered the building. A small gasp escaped his lips as a wall of cold and dry air hit him. The room was large and scarcely decorated. Official. Professional. As an executive's office should be. LuxShield hated it.

He stepped as quietly as he could down the halls and stairs, working his way down to the lower levels. It wasn't long before he heard some angry whispering in the room beyond him. But only one voice. Odd.

A strange quiet settled over the building, and LuxShield froze. This was somehow different from the other quiet. This quiet was charged. Something was about to happen.

And happen something did.

A large snap echoed across the silence. LuxShield felt a wave of energy rapidly expand from the room just beyond him while plaster fell from a spider web of cracks expanding across the ceiling. The building groaned. It was coming down. But LuxShield had a job to do. So he continued.

He stepped his way into the room where the blast came from, where a man stood facing away from him. But when he stepped forward again, he heard a stream of cracks above him. The chunk of ceiling barely missed him as he dove out of the way, the plastor practically shattering as it hit the floor. LuxShield could only wince as he looked over to the man now staring straight at him.

Although the room was large and he was quite far away LuxShield could see the villain's eyes squinted at him, while he held his hand out slightly. The other arm was tucked slightly behind him, but LuxShield couldn't help but see it shine quite oddly. Parts of his face and chest glinted in that same strange way. All he wore over his torso was a white lab coat, while black pants and shoes covered his lower half. He didn't quite seem to know what to do about the stranger laying on the floor.

LuxShield gathered himself from the floor and stood up slowly, never breaking his gaze from the villain across the room. He took a step forward, but a call from the villain stopped him.

"Don't take another step."

The voice was smooth and foreign. And dangerously calm.

"And if I do?"

"I'll have to stop you from interfering."

LuxShield took a single step forward. The villain grimaced and also took a single step.

"I'm warning you, you won't like it if I have to stop you myself."

"I doubt that." The villains were always the same. They never failed to underestimate the new hero. "I'm here to take you into custody."

The man across the room tilted his head further. "You're that hero I keep hearing about. Lux-something, right?"

"LuxShield."

"That's it. Well then, LuxShield, I hate to tell you, but I can't have you meddling about and messing up my plans. Leave before I make you leave. In a casket."

"I'm not afraid of you."

"Of course not. You don't even know my name. The Mangler, pleased to make your acquaintance."

LuxShield backed up unconsciously.

"So you've heard of me."

"Of course I have. No self-respecting hero hasn't. You're the villain who can throw people around with a mere wave of your hand."

"That's right, Lux. Now, I would hate to have to toss you out the building-"

"Stop the banter. I'm not afraid of you. Come with me peacefully or I'll take you by force."

"Alrighty then." He lifted his hand and mimed a push. LuxShield went flying across the room, groaning when he hit the wall hard enough to dent it. Fortunately, he didn't break easily and ducked behind a desk. With only a couple seconds of concentration, he summoned a small ball of pure energy. It was white and blue and small sparks jumped across it. Perfect for throwing at annoying villains. He stood up and tossed it with the speed and precision of a little league pitcher. That is to say, not very well. But it still hit his target, just in his arm and not his chest where Bdubs aimed.

The villain growled and his arm hung limp by his side. Huh. That was odd. The villain brought his other arm up and slung it to the side, slinging LuxShield with it. This time, however, the hero was prepared, summoning a shield of energy before he crashed into a line of cabinets. Instead of the force of the impact breaking LuxShield's bones, it merely knocked over the cabinets, causing a series of loud bangs to echo across the room.

LuxShield landed softly on the ground, turning back to where the villain stood. Or where he stood just before. He was gone. And by now the floor was unsteady under his feet. This building was coming down. With or without him in it. And given the choice, he preferred to not be in a collapsing building. So he ran. Even though it was embarrassing. His first failed attempt to capture a villain.

He wouldn't know it then, but that very villain would be the bane of his existence for years to come. 

Woah! A prologue? Crazy... 

988 Words