Escape

"What am I gonna do? What am I gonna do? What am I-"

"Bdubs!"

"What? My life is over, Doc!"

"You can get a new apartment."

"They'll find me there too."

Doc shuffled in place uncomfortably, watching Bdubs have a genuine mental breakdown. "We'll figure something out."

The hero turned to Doc and started yelling. "'We'll?' As in 'we'? No way. We won't be doing anything. You are leaving and I am going to figure this out."

Doc pursed his lips. "I understand you're scared and angry, so I refuse to be insulted."

"Yeah! You wanna know why I'm angry?"

"No."

"Because you and your stupid friend ruined my friend's party."

"He's not my friend."

Crash! A loud shattering of glass filled the air. A brick thunked onto the floor and Doc noticed a small piece of paper tied to it. Bdubs saw it too, and rushed over to the brick. Luckily, Doc had freakish superpowers on his side and waved Bdubs into the couch, making sure to be gentle with the small hero. He dipped down and picked up the brick before sliding the note out of where it was tied. "It's your fault." Doc scowled, knowing exactly what 'it' was.

"What does it say?"

"It's asking you out on a date." Doc lied.

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Lemme read it."

"Nope." Doc crushed the note in his fist until it was practically dust. He then tossed it back out through the new hole in the balcony door.

"Hey! I wanted to read that!"

"No, you didn't." He looked down at the street where more and more people were pouring into the crowd. "We can't stay here."

"I know! But I have nowhere to go besides Keralis' and I'm not putting him in more danger."

"I have a hideout on the other side of town. You can lay low there for a while."

"So you can kill me in my sleep? No."

"I'm trying to keep you safe, idiot."

"Why? You've hated me for the past two years? What changed?"

"One. I never hated you. Two. I find you fascinating. Three. We have to go."

"Fascinating?"

"Bdubs! Focus before I tie you up and kidnap you."

"Wait!"

"What now?"

"That's a brilliant idea! Tie me up and kidnap me. If they see you then they get scared and run! It'll give us time to get away."

"You... what? Really?"

"Yeah!"

Doc soon found himself in front of a giant crowd holding Bdubs in a choke hold. He snarled and growled at anyone who got too close and tried really hard not to think about all the guns trained on him. "Shoot me and I'll make sure it's your precious hero who gets hurt." The officers waivered while the captain stared straight back. "Drop them." More hesitation. "Now!" The captain looked at Bdubs, who shook his head softly as a signal for the captain to do what Doc asked. The captain dropped his weapon, and his officers followed suit.