Chapter 9: Blue Bell

"Bless you." Chat Noir said after an adorable sneeze escaped the bluenette, who blushed in embarrassment. "Sorry, kitty... I thought I'd be better today." Adrien chuckled and brushed a stray hair away from her face, resting his hand on her rosy cheek. "Don't be sorry for something you can't control."

Marinette looked to the side, and nodded. He stayed the night at her home. Chat noir, a criminal... stayed the night at her apartment. And she asked him to! She felt like an idiot... Yet she used her fever as an excuse to justify her actions to her disapproving consciousness.

It was just one night.

"Would you like me to make you breakfast?" He offered kindly and Marinette smiled, "Hmm... That would be nice." The bluenette spoke, but she didn't quite feel like getting out of bed. Before Chat Noir could get up himself, there was a demanding knock at the door. His eyes widened, and both of them froze at the unexpected company.

"Marinetteeee, I know you're homeeee!" A familiar voice whined, Marinette inwardly face palmed.

She had completely forgotten about her plans with Alya today-- that were made last week.

Chat let out a grunt as a pillow collided with his face, and he immediately took a hint, rolling under the bed. The bluenette raced to get the door, leaving Adrien in her bedroom. He gulped, realizing his black boots were sitting outside Marinette's lovely balcony, and he hoped that no one would go out there.

The moment Marinette pulled open the door she was greeted with a warm hug. Her sore body immediately gave out at the unexpected impact and hit the floor with a solid thud. Alya gasped, wincing as her best friend hit the tile. She cringed, "Are you okay?!" The brunette exclaimed, helping her up.

Marinette nodded slowly, "Yeah I'm fine... I'm so sorry Alya, I totally forgot about our plans today! I have a really nasty fever, so I haven't been at work recently and I should've called you--"

"A fever? I have just the thing! My mom has really good medicine for that, ya know." Alya spoke proudly, already searching through her contacts for her mother. "Y-yeah that'd be great Als! Wanna stop by later to drop it off?" She asked, indirectly asking her to leave and come back later.

Alya didn't take the hint, distracted by her phone and walking closer to Marinette's bedroom. "Yeah, yeah. Oh wait! Didn't you say you were working on designs for that Agreste hottie? If you have a fever than--"

Adrien nearly coughed underneath her bed.

"Adrien told his dad I was sick, and he gave me a few extra days to work on it before the photo shoot, so I'll be fine."

"You're so lucky, Marinette. Almost any girl- besides me of course- would love to take your place. I mean you know I'm not into blondes- but I gotta admit I'd love to be on the same attractiveness level." The brunette sighed and flopped on the cozy couch, scrolling through pointless posts on Instagram.

Alya grinned when she came across a particular post.

"Oh yeah-- Did you hear?! There's a rumor going around that Cat Noir is secretly dating a mystery girl! They got a small clip of footage on some security camera near the museum-- he was totally carrying someone who was injured! Like-- A bridal style carry-- MEANING ROMANCE!"

Marinette's eyes widened as Alya shoved the phone in her face, forcing her to watch the Instagram reel. It was blurry camera footage, which had clearly been leaked... of Chat Noir hopping from roof top to roof top carrying her home the day those four men decided to gang up on her.

The thought made her sick to her stomach... "A-Alya..." Marinette spoke softly, her mood had clearly somehow saddened.

"I wonder who he's carrying!! I mean does he visit her often-- AS CHAT NOIR?! His crime rates said to have gone down since!"

"Alya."

The brunette glanced at Marinette with a smile, her expression soon changing into that of worry. "Oh... What's wrong, girl?" The bluenette looked to the side, "Please promise me you won't look into it. It's too dangerous." Alya playfully scoffed, "Oh come on Marinette, you know me. I'm fit as a fiddle." She stated proudly.

"Promise me."

Marinette watched her best friend's energy seemingly drain, knitting her eyebrows together in concern. She didn't get why Marinette was so worried about it, she always went out of her way for things like this. "But- why Marinette?"

"Please Alya... Just don't look into it okay? I'll be able to sleep better." The bluenette said softly, and Alya looked to the side. Marinette was serious about it, which was something Alya couldn't go against if Marinette cared about it this much. She just didn't know why, and doubted it had to do with her safety.

Of course Marinette was usually concerned in some cases, but not like this. Which made her wonder...

"O-okay... I promise."

***

"Sorry, chat... I didn't think you'd have to wait so long." Marinette said walking back into her seemingly empty bedroom. She smiled a little and peered underneath her bed, nothing... A small frown occupied her face before she noticed the doors that lead to her balcony were slightly creaked open.

The petite woman made her way towards the balcony, noticing his boots had disappeared. She sighed, knowing he had left without a doubt. She walked closer to the beautiful view her porch provided, careful not to spill over the potted plants that decorated the sides of the railing.

Marinette wondered how Chat had been so meticulous as to not make a sound every time he landed on her rooftop or wooden floors. Each light step the bluenette took make a small creak in the wood. She wondered about it while leaning against the black railing of her balcony, and enjoying the lovely view of Paris.

She muffled the cough that threatened to escape her throat, and walked back inside. Her phone was sitting on her nightstand, and suddenly began to ring.

Adrien.

She hesitantly picked up the phone after clearing her throat. "Hello?" She asked softly, her fingertips brushing the side of her rose gold phone case. "Hello, Ms. Dupain-Cheng," the blonde teased on the other side of the line, a shiver going down her spine as she heard his voice... it was so similar to-

"Are you feeling better?" He asked thoughtfully, and she smiled a little as his kindness. "Actually, I am... I think I'll be able to head back to work tomorrow."

Ironically, Adrien smiled as he walked down the street, a few blocks away from her apartment. "That's good to hear..." He had to refrain from calling her princess- successful at the least.

"Adrien, what's your favorite color?" Marinette asked softly, and he sighed. "I really hoped you wouldn't ask that..." He spoke over the phone and she frowned, "Why is that?"

"What are the specific color of your eyes, Ms. Dupain-Cheng?"

"Blue bell..?"

"You have your answer. I'll see you in my office tomorrow, Marinette." And with that... the line ended, leaving behind a speechless bluenette.

 the line ended, leaving behind a speechless bluenette