Chapter 18: Ruse

Adrien slid a gleaming diamond ring off of his lithe finger, placing it somewhere in his mess of jewelry along with the priceless watch he had bought a few days ago.

The blonde ruffled out his hair, leaving it untamed before rummaging through his cabinet for some black eyeshadow. He took the shadow labeled Noir, and began smudging the dark eye makeup around his emerald green orbs. He then walked over to his unusually large walk in closet, and pulled aside one of the loose floor boards to reveal his Chat Noir suit.

The bell on the collar of the suit reflected the light on the ceiling.

When Adrien was eleven years old... he learned very quickly that he liked glossy, shiny, and polished objects. Anything sleek that his father had to offer in his closet, he would always try on while his dad was busy in his office. The young blonde would always put everything back in the exact place it had been before he had snuck in.

His father was always very meticulous about where he placed his things, which was probably what caused Adrien to develop such a photographic memory.

Sure he could've gone to medical school and became a doctor or something great, but since he had a lot of anxiety and traumatic experiences... His hands would always shake. Plus a photographic memory was kind of great to have when you needed to memorize security access codes that should have only been known by bankers or museum receptionists.

As Adrien zipped up his suit and looked in his closet mirror, he wondered why such a wonderful girl like Marinette could have ever fallen for someone such as himself. After careful consideration, he decided he'd let the topic go so he didn't keep Marinette waiting. He quickly filled a bowl of water for Plagg- his misbehaving kitten- and headed out the window.

He began to come up with something clever or witty to say when he saw his wonderful woman, only to let the clever comment go flaccid when he saw her face. Marinette was crying, sobbing even. She wasn't alone either, her friend was there too. But before he could make an escape, he knew she had already seen him.

His eyes shot wide open before he looked at Marinette who had a weak smile on her face, gesturing for him to come in. He quickly fell in a somersault against the wooden floorboards on Marinette's front porch and landed in a hero like position. 

Alya stared at him in complete awe, like he wasn't real. She was so stunned she couldn't even talk, all that came out of her mouth was a quiet shriek. He watched both of their eyes travel up towards his face when he finally stood up, revealing to Alya how tall he was in person which seemed to make her more unhinged.

Marinette stood up and walked over to him, embracing him in a hug with tears in her eyes. He didn't know what was going on, so he just hugged her despite the young lady watching the two of them. Her arms were wrapped around him tight, like she was holding onto him for dear life. Like it was the last time she would hug him.

Alya's expression of awe turned into that of seriousness, seeming to frown a little before she fixed her glasses. "Look, I don't know you- but I know what you've done. From what Marinette tells me, you're a good person. But you showing up here is putting her- or both of you guys- in danger. You need to stop seeing my best friend." The brunette spoke definitively. 

Adrien squinted his eyes at the woman, softly letting go of Marinette before walking towards her. He could see the fear in her eyes, and also the brave spirit she had when she refused to back down. She stared straight up at him, however she was noticeably taller than Marinette. Her eyes didn't look away from his own, as if she wasn't going to back down. 

He chuckled. "Who are you?"

"I'm Marinette's best friend. And if you love her and know what's good for her-" 

"Stop it!" Marinette shouted, "Alya this is my decision. I love him- and there is no way I'm staying away from him." The bluenette spoke, yet Alya didn't look away from Chat. "Then I guess I'll have to show this photo to the police." Alya said, showing the photo of them two kissing on her phone. Chat's lips parted, this is why he made the mask for Marinette... 

God, he was so stupid.

"How did you even get that?" He asked, and Alya looked to the side. "I was walking to Marinette's apartment one night, when I saw you suddenly carry her out of the balcony. Of course I was worried for her- for her life- so I went and chased after you guys! By the time I had gotten there you were kissing, and I took a picture." Alya said, finally looking at Marinette.

"It all made sense after that. That's why you got so quiet when I talked about his 'secret romance' or whatever. That's why you made me promise not to investigate it!" Alya shouted, and Marinette looked away. "You and I both know that Marinette seeing you is a problem-- you're a criminal for God's sake!" 

"Well I wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for him!" Marinette shouted, "He's the one who saved me from those guys at the gas station- I would have been raped and dead in a ditch somewhere if he hadn't--"

"Marinette. Stop..." Chat said, as if to remind her he didn't want to picture her like that. Marinette narrowed her eye brows in concern, grabbing his hand and looking at her best friend. "Alya... He saved me. His crime rate had gone down since you said so yourself! You can't make this decision for me- I'm glad that you care but can't you see I'm perfectly fine?" Marinette said, hope laced within her voice.

The brunette looked to the side, crossing her arms. "It's still dangerous."

"I know that. It's risky, okay? But Alya... please, I love him." Marinette pleaded, begging her best friend for her understanding. "Please. Delete the photo, we'll be more careful, okay?" She said softly, and Alya sighed. "Fine. Look I won't show anyone the photo, but if you guys get caught- don't bring me into this." Alya said, taking her coat and beginning to walk out.

She looked back at Marinette, "I only want what's best for you. I just don't want you getting hurt..." She said softly, closing the door behind her. 

Marinette looked up at Chat, seeing a sort of panic in his eyes she'd never seen before. She watched his Adam's apple bob in his throat when he gulped, the lighting exposing his sharp jawline and chiseled cheekbones as he finally looked down at her. Her heart hammered in her chest when his grip on her hand loosened, his shoulders sinking.

"Chat... She won't tell anyone." Marinette said in reassurance and he shook his head. "No... Marinette she's right. I'm no good for you..." He said softly, looking out onto the porch. "If we get caught-"

"We won't." Marinette said, tears beginning to form at the brim of her eyes. 

Adrien let a small smile form on his lips, cupping her cheek and pulling her face closer to his. She stood on the tips of her toes, allowing her chest to press against his own as he leaned over kissed her. For a second she felt relief in her chest, but when he pulled away and allowed her to see the tears in his eyes... She knew what was coming next... and it broke her heart.

"You're right princess..." Chat said softly, wiping a tear from her cheek. "We won't."

A gasp escaped her lips when the warmth of his embrace left her, and he was standing at the railing of her balcony. He looked back at her with a weak smile, and the next moment...

He was gone.