Chapter 13: Red Roses

Marinette wasn't used to seeing herself... Well- everywhere. Gabriel had bought countless billboards to cover their new design line, and she was beside Adrien on quite a lot of them. She had a few bill boards to herself; sporting the pink top, tight pants, and jagged high heels.

She had to admit it did boost her confidence a little, she wouldn't normally think of herself as hot

She had to admit it did boost her confidence a little, she wouldn't normally think of herself as hot. She thought of herself as a clumsy, focused, and determined student who somehow balanced a full time job, online college classes, and her relationship with people closest to her.

It might've sounded exhausting but in all honesty she quite enjoyed it, maybe she happened to be a bit masochistic.

When she stepped into the Agreste building that day, she felt good about herself. But when she realized all the eyes that were on her it made her feel nervous. She attempted to hide herself with all the cardboard boxes that she carried filled with things to decorate her new office. She quickly made her way to the elevator, surprisingly not dropping anything.

She clicked the button that led to the 20th floor, feeling relieved now that she was finally alone. The elevator came to a stop at the 8th floor to allow someone in, and she suddenly felt nauseous. A tall woman with olive skin and long brown hair walked in, a small smirk on her lips. "Oh? Marinette! Just the girl I wanted to talk to." She said, almost sweetly but it was passive aggressive.

Marinette gulped, "W-what floor are you getting off of?" She asked as the elevator door closed, leaving the two by themselves. "Same as you, we both work for the same person after all. You always were a bit slow." Lila remarked and Marinette frowned, this was not going to be like high school.

They were adults now, and she wasn't gonna let Lila get away with the things she did back then.

"Everyone in this building works for the same person Lila, I assumed you knew everyone worked for Gabriel so I was just asking to be polite." Marinette said definitively, causing the smirk on Lila's lips to fade ever so slightly. "I'll be Adrien's personal assistant soon, so I'd like to think that I work for him."

She said it like it was a challenge, and it made Marinette feel weird. Lila being Adrien's personal assistant shouldn't have bothered her at all, so why did it? The bluenette could have bragged about Adrien immediately being more than willing to fire  Lila with just a simple yes, but she wasn't like that and she didn't want to accept Lila's odd challenging tone, so she didn't.

"With all due respect, that's none of my business and not something to show off. Gabriel would prefer we keep our business relationships here quiet, I'd like to remind you." The elevator let out a small ring when they reached the 20th floor, and Marinette didn't hesitate to step out first.

The heavy box she was carrying shifted her weight and she gasped when her heel slipped, causing her to fall forward. It happened so fast, she didn't even realize who was standing in front of her, waiting for her to arrive off the elevator with flowers easily hidden behind his back.