Chapter 22: 'Nobody'

"Nathalie..." Gabriel spoke softly, setting a warm mug of tea beside her bed. 

The devoted assistant smiled with gratitude, sitting up and fixing her glasses. "You don't need to take care of me, Gabriel." She said before taking a sip of the chamomile tea, closing her eyes as if enjoy it more. Gabriel cleared hid throat, "It's my fault you're sick in the first place."

Nathalie looked to the side, staring at the formula on her tablet which had gone terribly wrong. It was for the Pavilion serum, and while mixing its chemicals Nathalie fainted inside the lair. She had gotten sick since, and Gabriel had stayed out to insure he wouldn't get sick as well.

Since the accident that had happened years ago, Gabriel had to start from scratch with the serums. Saving Emilie had become more important than anything in the world, and Nathalie was generously devoted to making that dream come true. Gabriel always wondered one thing...

How did Chat Noir get his inhumane abilities? 

It boggled his mind at the thought of it, but he hoped that it was all some coincidence that Chat Noir had the same abilities the Noir Serum offered. After all, Nathalie said so herself that whoever would've taken the Noir serum wouldn't have been able to survive. 

But if he could just somehow get his hands on Chat Noir's blood...

It could be the key to success. It could be the antidote that cured Emilie's sickness... She could wake up. If Gabriel ever got the chance to talk to that good for nothing criminal, he would make sure to drain every ounce of blood left in him was drained from his body. 

***

"Has anyone ever told you to respect your elders?" 

Chat Noir smirked as he stood in front of the trembling thief that held an old woman's purse in his hand. The man was about 5"7, staring up at Chat like he was a golden statue. "Y... You're Chat Noir!" 

The blonde chuckled and snatched the purse out of his hands, leaning much lower to reach his ear. "If I ever catch you doing something like this again... You're gonna regret it. So I suggest you get a job, stop preying on blind old ladies, and spread the word for me will ya?" 

The thief grunted when chat patted his shoulder rather harshly and pushed him away. Adrien felt a little sadistic when he found joy in the thief nodding quickly and taking off without looking back. He turned around with a smile on his face, a bunch of people in the streets screaming and running away when they spot him. 

"Hey, come on! I did a good deed." Chat said with a tone of sarcasm, a trembling person in the corner pulling out his phone and recording the scene. 

Chat chuckled and turned around to walk over to blind old woman who frantically searched for her purse. "I think you dropped this, ma'am." He spoke in a gentle way, handing her purse over to her. He had stuffed a few hundred dollar bills in it before giving it back of course. 

The old woman smiled when she felt the fabric of her purse, "Oh goodness... I was so worried. Thank you so much young man, what's your name?" 

"Promise you won't laugh?" He asked jokingly and the old woman waved her hand at him. "Oh, try me. I've heard lots of silly names in my days." 

"Well I'm Chat. Pleasure to meet ya." He said in a chivalrous manner. The old woman seemed delighted when he leaned over and kissed the top of her hand. He didn't feel an ounce of discomfort when she felt his face until she reached his cheek, giving it a pinch before moving her stick elsewhere. "Well God bless you, Chat. I hope you have a lovely day." 

Adrien felt an ache in his heart, it made him feel good that he actually did something nice for a change. A genuine smile formed on his face before he bid her goodbye and saluted to the person recording. He quickly extended his staff and held onto it until he was close to a building, leaping onto the roof and running in Marinette's direction. 

He could get used to this whole good guy thing...

***

When Chat arrived to Marinette's apartment he heard the shower running and an angelic hum emanating from the bathroom. He shook his head with a smile and fell flaccid onto the bed, he noticed her laptop was already open. Although he trusted Marinette and wasn't the type to snoop... He was Chat Noir right now and he had no choice!

She was practically inviting him to snoop when she left the laptop wide open. 

He casually scrolled through her search history from just that day, his eyes gleaming with curiosity. His lips parted when he came across a specific name, his name...

Adrien Agreste (Images) 

Maybe Marinette was developing a small crush on his alter ego- which made him oddly jealous of himself. He looked at the search above his name. 

Chat Noir (Images)

He furrowed a brow, wondering if it was just a coincidence. She couldn't have possibly... His eyes caught sight of the screen once more. 

Gabriel Agreste Brand Silver Ring (Images) 

Chat Noir's secret identity https./articlesofourown./wikipidea

Why do men hide things? https./article/.realsurverystakenbymen./womenladvice

Adrien's heart was beating a million times a minute when he heard the shower turn off, and he quickly closed all the tabs. She knew. She knew?! She had to... Or she was at least starting to figure him out... damn it. She probably thought he was hiding other things from her as well- besides his civilian identity.

The door to the bathroom opened, and Marinette paused when she saw his panicked face. She glanced at the laptop, clutching her towel with her manicured nails. She gave him a concerned look, she already knew what had happened. She figured him out.

His chest heaved in and out, staring down at his ring with wide eyes. Nobody knew about his identity besides himself- nobody. "You weren't supposed to find out this way..." He said, shaking his head and slowly getting off the bed. "You know who I am, don't you Marinette?" He asked, and she offered him a weak smile. 

She slowly walked over to him, looking up at his face and cupping his cheek. A tear slid down her cheek as she nodded her head, his hands clutching her wrist. "I've known for a while..." She said softly.

***

Since Nathalie was sick, and Gabriel didn't trust anyone besides her to go through the security footage... It was his duty to do so himself. He walked over to Nathalie's office desk and lazily scammed through the footage that day, but then he got an idea. 

It's not like he didn't trust Nathalie or anything, but he wanted to see for himself what exactly happened that day in the lab.

Gabriel furrowed a brow as he scrolled through all the footage, looking for one specific date. 

The camera roll was empty for that day, he didn't understand... He ran a hand through his gray hair, clicking on the deleted files of camera footage. He anxiously scrolled through the useless piles of footage and other junk, finally coming across the footage for that day. The day all his serums were found broken on the lab floor in shattered pieces. 

His heart hammered in his chest when he pressed play on the video, skimming through before he saw the person walking into the room.

Gabriel froze.

It was his son... Adrien.