𝟏𝟏. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐎𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐝

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟏𝟏. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐎𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐝

 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐎𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐝

________________________

  IT HAD STARTED TO RAIN sometime in the afternoon. That was a good thing, too - because it meant that instead of sitting in the sun and watching a bunch of people cool off without a chance to do so herself, Lorelei could actually unwind.

  She had spent the past hours in constant worry over Billy and what was going on with him. It seemed odd, for her to be worrying about the Hargrove boy, after all, they weren't exactly buddies. But weird things were happening once more - and Lorelei didn't want any more people to get caught in the eye of it all.

  "I told her - I said, Mrs. Brown, I don't care that your dog enjoys swimming - he's not allowed in the pool," Ben chatted idly as he folded the towels on his lap.

  Lorelei sat next to him, her fingers playing with the white material of an already folded towel from the pile he was keeping beside her legs. She nodded her head absentmindedly to what he was saying, but if anyone were to ask her what the conversation was about, she would be at a loss for words.

  "And she just looked like she was about to kill me - seriously, Lorelei," he continued speaking with disbelieving shakes of the head. "These women are insane."

  "At least you don't have to deal with a bunch of kids pretending to drown just so you have to rescue them," Lorelei grumbled under her breath.

  "Not this story again-" Ben complained.

  "Come on!" Lorelei exclaimed, a grin tugging at the corners of her lips. "That kid was totally faking it! No one drowns like that!"

  "How would you know?" Ben chuckled. 

  "It just isn't natural-" Lorelei shrugged. "He looked ridiculous. And the very second I jumped into the water to 'save him' the little shit said he was fine. Honestly - one of these days I swear I'm just gonna lose it-"

  The door to the locker room suddenly slammed open, and Lorelei's neck twisted in the direction of the sound, her heart hammering. She sighed in relief when she noticed that a very familiar face of Stella was staring back at her - but the relief washed away when she saw her friend looked all but happy.