Part 1 Revenge

I didn't gaze at the stars that night. My eyes were locked on the river and the kingdom that lay beyond. Somewhere over there was a castle, and in that castle was Tad.

He may have been a coward, but he had the answers to my question and tried to hurt me. I had no way of sneaking out with a leg in a cast and an arm in a sling; but his time was coming and I wasn't going to let that coward slip through my fingers.

Several months later I was glad to finally be able to move and do as I pleased. Being in that cast was torture. As soon as I could get a grasp on a sword and start swinging I did.

The Queen and Emperor began to notice my new obsession. I practiced anytime I could, as I had a lot more free time on my hands since school had been pulled to a halt.

Getting dressed in all black and grabbing a few things I thought I would need, I snuck out of the castle. A tree grew by my balcony and it's tallest limbs just barely went over the railing. Carefully, I swung my leg over and climbed into the tree. From there I worked my way down and hopped out when I hit the last branch.

I checked the immediate area and then bolted into the village. I stayed mostly on the side streets and alleys, keeping in the shadows. Passing the school and field I stopped short. I had forgotten about the Royal Patrol. They patrolled the villages and towns of the Kingdom.

There were a several guarding the bridge tonight. Thinking, there had to be another way across? I could just swim, but wet clothes would slow me down and rub me raw. Then, like flipping a switch one word came to mind. Peryton.

I went to the nearest stable. I couldn't just take the animal; so I left a bag of coins worth a thousand lodars and tied it to a post of the pen the peryton was in. I mounted the flying deer. I had never ridden one in my life. I had ridden a horse before, but it never flew!

The stag bolted when I tried to get it to move. He ran through the field like he was on fire. I tightened my knees together and he spread wings and took off. We flew inches above the tree tops, and I wasn't about to try and go higher.

I did managed to point the stag in the right direction. Within minutes we passed the river and the bridge. It was smooth sailing until the castle of Cyon came into view and tried to land the peryton.

He was coming in too fast. I pulled the reins back but that only made him go higher. We went in circles for quite some time. Till finally I took the reins and pulled them down toward the earth.

The Peryton skidded to a stop and I ended up falling off and rolling. I ran back up to him to calm him down and tie him to a tree. I checked my surroundings and landmarks so I'd come back; and also for a plan B escape.

I took off into the trees. Running at full speed. I was accustom to the dark and my eyes adjusted well. I jumped roots and rocks and dodged limbs.

Stopping just short of the tree line I scoped out my quarry. Only a few guards patrolled the outer wall of the castle. They kept walking around it, not standing in one place. A few bushes was all that lined the wall.

Timing it just right, the coast was clear for just under a minute. I scurried over to the wall and hid behind a bush. After another guard went by. I started the climb. There were small pockets in between the stones just enough to grab a hold to and place my feet.

Its amazing how most of the time people never look up. I was half way up when I slipped my foot hold. I was dangling by my two inch hand grips. I scrapped with my feet till one of them caught hold.

Taking a deep breath, I kept going. I hoisted myself up over the top. I kept my body low and crouched on the landing of the battlement; crawling to the nearest turret and went in. I went down a flight of stairs and came out to a hallway.

With reading the Chronicles I managed to pick up a thing or two about the architecture of most of the castles on Lasgroth. For the most part I knew where I was going. The hall where the Royal residents lived usually is at the back of the castle. The only question was which room was Tad's?

I finally made it with still being undetected. I tried a few of the doors and slowly opened them. First one was his sister's, next one was his older sister's.

Finally I found his room. I entered and quietly shut the door. I pulled out my knife out of it sheath. I held my hand over his mouth and knife to throat. He sucked in air and jolted when he woke.

"Be quiet if you want to live." I whispered. He nodded. I could see the fear in his eyes, and tears to go with it. I gagged him and tied his hands behind his back. Directing him out into the hall we went the same way I had come in. I took him up one of the towers. A chair sat right outside the door. I grabbed it and we both entered the top room in the tower.

I made Tad sit and tied him to the chair. I pulled him over to the window and leaned him out. "You're going to tell me everything I want to know. Okay?"

His eyes grew big as he nodded vigorously. "What was the reason you all attacked me in the street that day?" I took his gag out. His look was like he didn't understand. I took off the black scarf I had around my mouth and nose. It dawned on him who I was and why I was here.

"Raibyn! I had no idea it was you that they were aiming at that day. I swear it.

I got in his face. "Why?"

He slumped in his chair. "I had only done it one other time. When I knew it was you. I couldn't do it."

I slapped him across the face and leaned him out the window more. "Wow!"

"Your apology is accepted, but what I want to know is why you all did it to begin with?"

"I'll tell you! I'll tell you! Just pull me back in! Please!"

I pulled him back in and dropped the two front legs down. He relaxed and took a deep breath. I stood in front of him with my arms crossed.

"Alright. Yoel wanted to be the heir and future Emperor of Lasgroth. The only way of doing that was to get rid of his uncle and his family. Getting rid of you would've been the easiest one he thought."

"Well, I'm still here. Why did you run? Why didn't you try to stop them?" He hung his head.

"They would've beaten me too. It wouldn't have been the first time." He knew how I felt. If he didn't join in they would've beaten him like they did me. It seemed he had already been through the same as well.

"I'm so sorry, Raibyn. I don't suppose we'll remain friends, will we?"

"I don't know? Will you stand by me if there is a next time?"

"Or die trying next time." I looked at his shallow face in the moon light.

"Yeah, we're still friends." I turned and walked out the door.

"Wait!" I turned back around. "Are you not going to untie me?"

"Hmmm. I'll call it even and I'm sure they'll find you eventually. Good night!"

I ran back to Tad's room and used his sheets to make a rope to climb down out of his window. When I landed I made a bee line for the woods and the peryton. He was still there grazing on grass when I got to him. Our take off was a lot more graceful this time.

We flew home and I took the Peryton back to the pen I found him in, and grabbed my money sack. I climbed the tree and changed back into my Pjs. Climbing in bed I fell fast a sleep and no one knew the wiser that I had left.