Complications

I had battle school while trying to plan everything. I did ask if anyone wanted to try competing. Not everyone want to do it, but Commander ordered everyone to enter anyways.

"It will be great practice for everyone, plus show off what this school can teach," she said.

The Commander pushed us harder with training then we have ever been. To say I was exhausted was an understatement.

I had planning and organizing to do after school. I was running around town like a chicken with it's head cut off. Making sure the baker and butcher knew to have enough food ready for so many potential customers. The smithies were already bustling with armor repair and blade sharpening before I even got there. I ran over to the sign up tent by the public library and we already had more people sign up than I thought would even consider.

I looked at the Colosseum where the tournament was to take place. People were coming in from the main road by the hundreds. Farmers were bringing in fresh produce by the wagon loads. Other craft makers were among them as well coming to sell their goods. It was looking like we were going to have a good turn out.

"My, you sure know how to get people's attention," Zeno said behind me.

I whirled around, "Prince Zeno, I figured you'd take one look at the competition and stick your tail between your legs and run."

"Smart as ever," he grinned, "I did look at the other combatants. They really are nothing special, even the other royals that showed up, other than you."

"I'm not competing," I informed him.

"I figured you were," he said, "I would have crushed you beneath my heal." He began to walk away.

"Is that so," I began, "I'll have to change that."

"I look forward to seeing how you progress," he yelled over his shoulder.

"Like wise," I said under my breath. I hit my forehead with my solid wood clipboard I had in my hands. I walked back over to the sign up tent and signed up.

It was stupid to do it. I know, but I couldn't help myself. Zeno and the rest of them are such high and mighty pricks I couldn't let any of them win. I couldn't let myself win either, but no one else needed to know that till the tournament.

Finally the day came, I was getting suited up for the one on one fencing category. Full plated armor etched with a peryton on the breast plate. The insignia of my father's house. I grabbed my helmet and walked out of my room.

My first opponent was Prince Halflar of Novia, the mountain kingdom. We both entered in the arena. He was a bit on the plump side of things and barely fit in his armor.

He wore an open face helmet. We hadn't even started and he was already sweating. Even though it was near the end of fall and snow covered the sandy floor of the coliseum. His feet were too close together. This kid didn't know what he was doing and was probably being forced into it, most likely from his father.

The rules were best of three. The person to either get a hit on or knock their opponent down three times won. I didn't want to hurt Halflar, but I at lease had to make top three myself or mother and the commander both would have my hide.

He rushed up on me and I let him have the first hit. The crowd around us gasped. That was one point for Halflar. From then on I dodged and weaved his flailing sword. Blocking and parrying his frantic swipes with his sword. He rushed me on the second round and I side stepped taking the flat of sword and spanking him. That was my first point.

I noticed he was gripping his sword too tight now. I rushed him this time and managed to knock his sword from his hand. He held up his hands and I tapped his breast plate with the tip of my sword. That was two points for me and one for him.