Why?

"I don't want her going. We've finally made progress. She started a routine, she's studying, making friends."

"And that's going to change how? Go with her and see where she grew up." She rolled her eyes. I knew she hated the thought of going back out there. She couldn't stand it when I left last time.

She got close and whispered. "I don't want her wanting to leave for good."

"That's why you should go with her." She looked at Raibyn as she talked with the woman she called mother all her life. I could tell she envied the woman. Wanting Raibyn to look at her the way she looked at the alien.

I could tell Amethyst's heart was breaking. She hid her emotions well. It was the years on the battle field, but it was the slight gleam in her eye that told me otherwise. "The choice is yours."

=

I could feel the touch of the Queen's hand on my shoulder. "If I'm not intruding? I think it'd be nice for a visit. Plus, I'd like to see where Raibyn grew up."

I bit my top lip. I mouthed the words, "just go with it".

"We would be honored to have you both, your majesty. We're sending our planned flight course. You can join us at any point," suggested Jade over the space comm.

The Queen bowed her head. "We'll head your way first thing in the morning."

"See you then." The screen went black.

"Let's go get packed." She tapped my shoulder and headed off to the carriage.

I stopped the Emperor before he left. I made a scoffing noise. He knew what I was getting at. Bending down, he whispered. "We'll talk more in my office."