Oh No

Sparing with one of my classmates; I managed to make his wooden stick-slip from his hand. "That makes three to none," I said.

"Shallow victory, and it's not honorable to keep score." The Queen stood behind me dressed in full armor with a sword at her side and no helmet. Her hair was braided and pulled back. Everyone knelt when they finally saw her. I bowed my head when I turned around.

"You! Where did you learn to fight?" She pointed to the head instructor.

"We learned on the battlefield, your majesty," my instructor said.

"Impressive. Now, out of my coliseum." The teachers looked at each other in bewilderment.

"Now!" she yelled, and they ran for the door.

The Queen looked at all the students. "Alright children, let's make warriors out of you. First position." We ran and got in line by experience and in the ready position.

After class, we got a second to get some water. "Princess Raibyn, if we may? Why did the Queen take over our class?" They all were huddled around me and were the very few people I had made friends with on this planet. I had the same question rolling around in my head. I shook my head and shrugged.

"I'm going to find out though."

I covered my yawn at the dinner table. "You've been working hard," the Queen said.

"What was that today? Why did you take over the class?"

"When you've seen all that I've seen on the battlefield, you can tell who has had experience and who was pulled off from the farm. Your teachers were sloppy and ignorant."

"But why you? Until today, I almost didn't believe the chronicles."

"Well, I happen to be skilled in this subject, and I will find a suitable replacement soon enough."

"So this has nothing to do with the fact I'm in this class?"

"You being in the class brought it to my attention."

I cleaned my teeth with my tongue. "I think I'm going to head to bed."

Every joint in my body ached as I got in the bathtub. I got in and let the water come over my shoulders. "Long day, my Lady," Helah said.

"You have no idea."

"I certainly couldn't do what you're doing." I sunk into the water to wet my hair.