Masquerade

The day before the Ball, Mother had caught me before I left for school. "I wanted to return this to you," she said, handing me the short sword I had given her before the war. I pulled it out of the sheath. The blade was chipped, pitted and scratched beyond recognition. The only way to tell that it was mine was the hilt. A little dirty from use but still in perfect condition.

"I've got the smithy making you a new one. I'm sorry for how chipped up It got, but I wanted to thank you for giving it to me. It did save my life having it when I needed it most," she told me, pulling me into an embrace. I let go and fastened the sheath to my belt.

"I don't want a new one," I told her.

She smiled, "I'm having the smithy make you a bigger sword. You are about to need something with a little more reach. You're growing so much."

I thanked her and took off for school.

The next day was the Masquerade Ball. For once I was excited about this type of thing. I had picked out a nice navy blue dress with gold floral victorian design and highlights. It was long sleeved and a collar came half way up my neck with gold trim.

Helah had altered it for me. She cut a V shape just below the corset part of the dress and hem it. Then, she took out the under layers.

"I'm not sure about this my lady," Helah expressed, "you will have to wear trousers with it. What's the point of me cutting and hemming it?"

"The point is, so I can wear trousers and be more utilitarian," I explained.

"Will the Queen approve," Helah question.

"By the time she sees it it will be too late," I answered.

I put the dress on and wore cream straight legged trousers. I shined up my boots and stuck a knife sheath in the leg. I hid my short sword in the layers of the skirt as well. I stood in front of the mirror. My make up was done and my raven hair was up in a tight bun.

"How do I look," I asked Helah.

"If you put a helmet on and held a sword you'd look like you're about to kill someone," she blurted.

"Nice," I said.

The grandfather clock chimed. I kept it in my room over on the left side of the glass balcony doors. The face of it read seven o'clock.

"Well, no time like the present," I said, "pray for me."

I put on my mask and made my way to the ballroom. I took a deep breath as the butler announced my coming. I waited out of sight.

"Her imperial majesty," he boomed, "Princess Raibyn!"

The Ballroom went silent. I entered as a room full of people all bowed. I stood beside my Father who had a wide grin. I peeked a look at Mother who looked pleased, much to my relief. She was wearing a simple silver silk ballgown with open sleeves that rippled the whole dress as she moved. She wore a pure silver wired mask with each individual wire of the mask was curled to make it almost look like a butterfly.

The music started playing again and everyone started dancing and carrying on conversations. Father held out his hand to me. "May I have this dance," he asked. I took his hand gingerly. Then, he led me out to the dance floor.

I placed my right arm on his since he was twice my height. We danced a simple waltz among the people. "You look splendid tonight, my dear," he told me.

"Thank you Father," I replied as I looked at his dark brown eyes that almost looked black. He wore a pure gold wire mask to match his gold robe and looked just like Mother's mask with the curled wires. Then, the music died.