Chapter Three

For the seventh time this week, I make my daily trip to under Kellin's window. To say it's raining again, as spring has officially started.

I slump over to the side of the house, under the window, sitting underneath it in case he appears today.

"Hey, it's raining again." He does appear, as I thought. "And it's really cold...and raining."

"No shit." I snap. "I'm stuck out here. It's COLD and I don't wanna he here." I really would rather be dead. I think, but don't say aloud.

"Don't you want to go inside? Maybe get a change of clothes...not die of hypothermia?"

"I'd rather not." I reply. "I'm fine here with my good friend, hypothermia."

"Fine man, have it your way." He yells, walking away from the window.

"Wait!" I quickly add.

"WHAT?!" He runs back to the window. "You seem to be a pretty big waste of my time, Victor." He doesn't seem genuinely annoyed.

He says my name like a swear, and I frown.

"Could I please have my backpack back? My notebook at least?" I plead, and he laughs.

"Whats in it for me?"
Not reading my biggest secrets. I think to myself. Think faster.

"The pleasure of being a kind and responsible citizen?"

"Nah, man, I'm good. Doesn't sound very notebook-worthy, 'know what I mean?" He sits on the windowsill, attempting to be expressionless, but his eyes look amused.

"Agh, I'll kill you!" I try to scare him, putting on my meanest face.

He giggles, clearly not intimidated, almost falling out the window.

"No, you won't."

"And why not?"

"One, my doors and windows on the first floor are locked. Two, you can't climb up here-"

"Oh really?" I speak through gritted teeth. "Is that a challenge?"

"Fight me, pretty boy." He makes a growl, which he can barely get out through laughter. That's it.

"Stop calling me pretty boy!" I mumble, climbing up the tree next to the house. I step onto the mid-roof, then around the home, finally hopping into his window.

"Oh my god, Vic. I was kidding." He looks at me with shock.

"I know." I laugh lightly, then snatch my backpack. I'm about to leave out the window when his voice stops me again.

"I knew you weren't truly mad." He chuckles. "You wouldn't hurt me. You couldn't. Besides, I think you like me."

I stare at him blankly, fear rising in my throat.

"Uhm, yeah, you're, uhh, a cool...annoying uh...dude." Very convincing, Vic. Kellin imitates me, stopping at my sad expression.

"Vic, just so you know, I'm gay; if that makes you feel better."

Surprisingly, it does.

"I guess...uhm." I try to speak, leaving a long pause in my wake.

"Enough with the 'uhm's, Vic."

"Same." Is all I can manage.

"Would you maybe like to go for dinner tomorrow night?" He asks politely, a change from his earlier attitude.

"Yeah, sure." I reply. I guess it can't hurt. Free food, after all, am I right?

I start out the window again.