VII

The next morning, as the sunlight began to shine through the curtains, and my dorm mates began to get ready for the school day; I simply lay there. I had tossed and turned all night and at about four in the morning, and decided to give up and lay there, thinking wisely. All night my mind had pondered on the incident from yesterday night.  It was unfair and selfish of me to get involved in this mess. There was no telling when and where he was going to complete his actions. The loss of my dignity wasn't the worst part of that experience, the worst would be that somewhere, underneath those thick walls; my mind somehow enjoyed his presence. Draco had somehow managed to turn me into this fumbling puppet who he seemed to have complete control over. I needed to regain control over my life, but I didn't even know-how.

After the conversation with the girls, there wasn't much of a choice but to restrict me from going along with his plans.

I let out a deep sigh as my eyes got tired from staring at the ceiling. My feet jolted out of the bed and began my usual morning routine. Hermione was standing near her trunk, fiddling with the tie around her neck, while Ginny sat on the bed waiting for us. It wasn't up for discussion hiding what has happened with Draco, so I made sure to tell them everything from last night.

They both were overthrown by their thoughts, and there wasn't any easy way to tell Harry; so we kept it to ourselves.

Professor Slughorn's lecture was usually how I remembered it as I found my seat and prepared to take notes from the beginning. I flicked my hair over the surface of my shoulders, noting with slight surprise, that Lavender Brown had decided to sit beside me today. I masked a gentle smile, which Lavender eagerly returned.

"Hello, Lavender," I spoke softly before tapping my pen on the wooden table. "Can I help you?"

Lavender's smile got even wider, if that were possible, as she propped her chin on her hand; resting her elbow on the edge of the desk. "I'm simply curious about you and Malfoy."

My eyes flickered up, staring directly into her broad look as my entire body seemed to freeze. My mind bewildered me with thousands of questions. "What?"

"For your sake, I really do hope that you aren't into Harry like that. I'd hate for him to know just how close you are with a certain Slytherin." Lavender suddenly hissed.

I swallowed hard as my anxiety came tumbling back. "I have no idea what you are talking about."

Lavender rolled her eyes at me. "Let's not play stupid, Melanie. I saw you two yesterday, and it surprised me how much you fancy him. Surely you don't think I'm that thick, now do you?"

"What do you want from me, Lavender?" I shut my eyes, defeated in my own mess.

She passed a cruel smirk as I shot open, staring into a dark aura merging from her. "I want you to back off. I don't buy it about you not being into Harry."

"Lavender, please, I'm not into–"

Her eyes squinted in thin slits with a sudden rage. "I said... back off. If Draco wants you so badly, he can have you for all I care for. Potter is mine."

My stomach flipped as I passed a shallow nod. "I hope you understand, that this was never meant to happen. I'm simply just a game to Draco."

"Oh, really?" She arched an eyebrow at me. "If that's so, why in merlin's beard didn't he choose to torture his friends instead of you? Potter would do anything for Weasley. Somehow, your filthy face attracted him, and I know it. Good luck dealing with a psychopath."

I scanned Professor Slughorn to dismiss the class after a while. My eyes lingered on Lavender, tearfully and helplessly as everyone strode out of the classroom with the rest of the students. How was I supposed to determine what Lavender meant by 'back off''. I knew she wanted me to avoid Harry completely, but he's my best friend. That would break all types of rules in our friendship.