X

"What exactly do you mean, Melanie?" Hermione suddenly snapped with her nails digging into the fabric of an old leaderly book.

The library was deserted with no students. We spend our time working on the assignment that Severus Snape commanded us to do; however, after explaining to the girls about the incident that happened almost a week ago; they were both stunned by his declaration.

Ginny was too baffled to interfere as she sat beside me with rounded eyes, mouth wide open. It was plainly out of shock.

I felt myself being uneasy about this entire conversation, and surely the way Hermione reacted. "Well... Yes, he—"

"Melanie, listen to what you said!" Hermione was far more irritated than usual. "He asked you to be his!"

Ginny frowned in frustration. "Hermione, calm down. Why are you bothered about this?"

I saw her flushed red in embarrassment, lingering back on her book. "That's not the reason... Draco is just, insane. He is asking her to do something impossible to do."

"It's hard, Hermione." I shrugged deeply. "If I say yes, he'd get the help he needs."

Ginny slowly nodded in agreement. "I agree, I really do—but Draco is unfortunately smart enough to switch his narrative. Maybe he's lying and is simply trying to pick on Potter again."

"What are you going to say to Harry anyway, Melanie?" Hermione brought her attention back to me. "Surely you are not thinking about lying again?"

My thoughts were restless and perturbed as I fidgeted with my sleeves. I felt my anxiety come tumbling back. "I'm not sure..."

Ginny sighed before shutting her book, focusing fully on us both. "Think about it, you need a plan. Draco is a pathological liar. He'd do anything to harm Harry. If he wanted you killed, I'm sure it wouldn't take a second to doubt it."

Hermione threw her hands in the air with a sharp look. "That's exactly what I'm talking about! Draco is nothing but a threat to you. You shouldn't do it!"

"But what if I can stop whatever he is doing?" I spoke softly, hoping to get an understanding from my curly brown-haired friend. "What if it's possible to get him out of it? He doesn't deserve it, Hermione. Draco is a boy, not a man, but a boy. He still doesn't know what's right and wrong."

She flared through her nostrils in annoyance. "You are too nice, Melanie. For somebody who hates half-bloods as much as Voldemort."

A bullet of panic rose in my throat. It was difficult to go against Hermione because after all; she wasn't wrong. Whether I liked it or not, Draco has been horrible to me numerous times. But somehow, as shameful as it was for passing a thought; maybe Granger deeply cared for him under those thick layers of hatred.

"Yeah, you're right." I searched around the library, nipping my bottom lips while searching for a proper answer. "But if I don't do it, I'm sure he'd do something."

"Who?"

We all froze in one as we turned our heads in Harry's direction. He stood tall and broad near the bookshelves, clutching a book to his side. His expression was unreadable; however, I knew he was purposely trying to calculate everything that came out of my mouth.

"Nothing," Ginny said confidently, followed by a smile plastered on her lips. "Absolutely nothing. How is your assignment going with Ron?"

Harry squinted his eyes in thin slits; staring suspiciously at us. It was the familiar feeling of my stomach-turning. "What were you guys talking about? And what is it she has to do?"