Chapter Twenty-Two

Rosalie stretched from the chair in which she was sitting. She joined Emmett, who was leaning against the window.

- Aren't you tired of watching them ? She asked him while sighing.

His companion laughed, throwing a glance at his girlfriend.

- Are you kidding ? Garrett is asking her, I want to miss that under no circumstances !

- Why are you so interested in them ? We barely know them...

Rosalie was perplexed.

- Astrea is Carlisle's daughter ; she's part of the family. And she's funny.

- Like, can I kill you if you make me angry ? I don't see what's so funny about that. Scoffed the blonde while grimacing.

- Just don't piss her off. Emmett replied with a smile.

Rosalie rolled her eyes, but returned his smile. They heard footsteps on the stairs, and Alice, closely followed by Jasper, came down the steps in a hurry.

- What's up ? Tell me I didn't miss anything ! She exclaimed while joining the couple at the window.

The blonde moved away, raising her arms in surrender.

- But what do you all have to be obsessed by them ?

Jasper laughed in response.

- Since Bella and Edward's wedding, Alice has found a passion in decorating and organizing these kinds of events. So you can imagine that she's looking forward to this new wedding.

- It says a passion in the event planning, Jasper. Rectified Alice without leaving of the eyes what happened behind the window.

The interested one raised an eyebrow in his back.

- It is the same thing. He muttered.

- Ooooh, that's it ! Exclaimed Alice, jumping up and down.

- No, are you sure ? Said Emmett, just as excited.

They hurried to the window, checking what Alice had just said.

- Wait, she doesn't have the ring yet... Emmett remarked.

- Too bad Edward can't read their minds, or I'd have to get him down here right away. Alice muttered with a disappointed pout.

Heels clicked in the house and Esme entered the room while Jasper and Rosalie exchanged an exasperated look behind their respective companions' backs. The young woman was surprised to find four of her adopted children glued to the window.

- What are you looking at ? She asked.

- Garrett and Astrea. They answered in chorus.

- Garrett must be proposing to Astrea. Jasper added, his hands in his pockets.

He leaned against the nearest wall while Esme came closer to them, interested.

- Carlisle had told me about it. I didn't know he was going to do it today.

- Apparently he is, but we're still waiting, grumbled Rosalie.

Jasper chuckled, and the other three waved them off, absorbed in what was happening through the window.

♦♦♦

The doctor hastily put his things on his desk, promising himself to put everything away later. His wife was nowhere to be found, as were Rosalie, Emmett, Jasper, and Alice. He wondered where they had all gone. Maybe on a walk ? He and Astrea had been on the beach for a long time, and the trip had taken a while, too. He promised himself he'd go look for them later, but for now, he wanted to go see Garrett and his daughter. His first child, his only biological child was getting married, and he didn't want to miss the proposal for anything. He quickly walked back down the stairs and headed for the dining room, which overlooked the small parking lot right next to the house. Where Garrett and Astrea were. He couldn't hold back a joyful smile and walked into the room.

He was stunned when he realized that he was not the only one who wanted to watch the beings that one. Esme, Alice and Emmett were glued to the window, and Jasper and Rosalie were standing nearby, waiting patiently. They all looked up at Carlisle as he walked towards them.

- Please tell me you didn't come here to peep in the window. Sighed Rosalie.

- May I point out that if you weren't interested, you wouldn't have stayed here ?

Emmett had a point and the blonde knew it, that's why she tried not to answer him.

- Just shut up ! Alice hissed, stamping her feet in anticipation.

Carlisle approached the window, pushing his adopted daughter to see what was going on.

- I guess I came at the right time... He commented as he saw Garrett pull the small box containing the wedding rings from his pocket.

Emmett pushed them back a little to get a better look, and the four of them stayed glued to the window.

- It's great ! Alice exclaimed.

She clapped her hands and jumped up and down, unable to stand still. Emmett grumbled as he pushed her back towards the doctor. The latter, grinning from ear to ear, took her by the shoulders.

- Yes, but if you keep this up, they'll notice us.

- Too late. Quipped Rosalie of a nonchalant air, the glance riveted on the window.

Carlisle turned towards the window, and was surprised to come face to face with Garrett. He opened the doorway, an apologetic smile on his face.

- Congratulations ! Alice exclaimed before Carlisle could get a word in edgewise.

Garrett smiled wryly, playing with his eyebrows at the same time.

- Discretion is not your strong point, if I may say so.

- I agree.

Astrea's voice came from behind them. Carlisle turned and saw his daughter leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed over her chest. The doctor came over and took her in his arms. Their embrace was wordless, as it had been when the little vampire was a child, thanks to their unbreakable complicity.

When they parted, Alice threw herself into Astrea's arms out of instinct, forgetting all distrust of her. The others held their breath as the little red-eyed vampire stiffened. Jasper approached imperceptibly as a precaution. But Astrea's eyes remained dark, and she finally relented when the careless girl whispered in her ear :

- You're part of the family, I'm so happy for you.

- I always wanted to have brothers and sisters, she whispered in reply.

Carlisle had to hold back a tear that threatened to fall.

- What a sensitive guy, Garrett teased quietly, giving his friend a friendly pat on the back.

They exchanged an amused glance, then Garrett pushed Carlisle so that he could pass by the window discreetly, before Esme noticed that he had not removed his shoes full of mud.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!