Chapter Sixty-Nine

A few minutes after Garrett was in the hands of the nurses who were furious that he had escaped through the window while still "sick," Adam Lewis went to the lab, where he knew in advance that the person he was looking for would be there. Although the hallways were filled with doctors, convalescents and hurried nurses, the lab was very quiet, as Lewis could see when he entered the empty room. Since there was no longer any need to search for an antidote, all the medical lab technicians had gone to take a break. All except him and Gina Chapman, who was in the center of the room, sitting in a chair. This would have seemed perfectly normal, since the pretty redhead rarely took breaks, always scribbling in a notebook and bouncing from table to table with ideas in her head. The only difference was that today, she was sitting still in her chair, staring into space.

As soon as Lewis realized that there was no need to look for an antidote or to give transfusions, he urgently called Davis, who informed everyone. Everyone was relieved, Davis first ; the tall, blond man, usually so stern, had given his colleagues a long, well-deserved break.

- But this is exceptional, he had specified with a frown.

No matter, this break would relax everyone. Except Gina, Lewis had guessed. And it was urgent that he talk to her.

They'd known each other for nearly seven years, when the Wolf had applied for a position at Forks Hospital. They had hit it off, and worked together most of the time. They had grown very close, and Lewis hoped that the revelations of a few hours ago would not ruin their relationship. He genuinely liked the little redhead, always smiling and full of energy and positivity. A positive energy that he had helped her a lot in the first months. When the Wolf had arrived in Forks, he was running away from a past that was eating him up more and more. Gina had unwittingly helped him, so that he could move on.

Adam took a few steps forward into the room, not wanting to scare the young woman.

- Gina ? Can I talk to you for a minute ?

The pretty redhead barely turned her head toward him, and sighed.

- I've heard that somewhere before. She muttered darkly.

The Wolf approached again and finally sat down in the chair next to her.

- I never meant to scare you, you know. He began. Even though I know it's... A hard truth to admit.

- To be honest, I feel a little lost... Gina murmured.

- And I can't blame you. The Wolf replied in the same tone.

The little redhead finally looked at him.

- I don't blame you either, you know. It's... Totally crazy, but... But I understand why you didn't say anything.

- Gina ?

- Yes ?

Adam Lewis took a deep breath. He was afraid of the answer to his next question.

- Are you afraid of me ? He finally asked.

The young woman took the time to think. Her gaze fell in the vague for a few moments, before her eyes rested on him.

- No... Not anymore. Finally, I think that if you get angry, a little, but there, no. To tell you the truth, you almost look normal.

The Wolf laughed, and relaxed a little.

- You reassure me.

She gave him a shy smile.

- And now what ? She asked.

- What do you mean ?

- Several doctors have seen a werewolf change into a teenager... What are you going to do ? Explained the young woman.

- Ah yes...

Adam Lewis rubbed his chin, caught off guard by the question.

- You had forgotten, eh ? The young woman grumbled, switching to the familiar.

They used to be on first-name terms at work and then switch to first-name terms during their rare breaks.

- Let's just say that the last few events have been rich and that I've... Forgotten this little detail.

- A rather disturbing little detail, all the same. She underlined. What are you going to do ?

- Well... Nothing. Adam pondered.

This answer surprised his colleague, who raised an eyebrow in astonishment.

- Nothing ? She repeated.

- Nothing. confirmed the Wolf. When people see things that are not supposed to exist, they end up persuading themselves that it was not real. Some will talk about photomontages on the internet and others will talk about conspiracy theory. The last ones who will be sure of what they saw will be called crazy or whatever ; in short, we don't do anything because everyone else will do it for us. We just have to agree with the majority.

Gina whistled in admiration.

- Well... Simple and effective. She commented.

- Indeed.

They remained silent for a few moments, lost in their thoughts ; only the ticking of the clock resounded in the room. After a few minutes, Gina broke the silence of the laboratory.

- Adam, can I ask you a question ?

- Of course, replied the dark-haired man.

Adam watched the young woman, noticing that she chose her words with particular care.

- When you left to talk to the Cullen family, I went to see the two boys, Seth and Jacob, before coming back to see you.

The Wolf nodded silently. How could he forget the young woman's entrance while he was getting angry with the blonde ?

- Well, I might have overheard the boys' conversation too.

- Is this a part-time job ? Lewis cut her off, half-joking.

- Very funny. Anyway, I didn't hear much, but they were talking about you.

Adam listened carefully.

- What do you mean ?

- I only heard the end of their conversation, but one of them was saying that you didn't belong to any pack, and that was strange.

When the young woman closed her mouth, she noticed that Lewis had tensed up.

- And that's it ? He asked.

She nodded silently.

- I see.

A time. Gina watched him in silence, waiting for him to talk about himself if he wanted to. When he began to tap nervously on the table with his hand, she stopped him, however, putting her own hand on his. Adam turned his attention back to the young woman.

- Hey... You want to talk about it ? She whispered.

- I don't... With everything you've heard today, I don't think it's a good idea. The Wolf objected.

- But we're friends. You know you can talk to me if you need to, and honestly, I don't think you can surprise me again with what I've just learned. Unless wizards and elves exist.

A sad laugh shook the brown man's shoulders.

- No, don't worry.

- Then I should survive. Said the pretty redhead with a smug smile.

She squeezed Adam's hand a little harder in hers. The latter sighed, his face crumpled by an old sadness, which Gina could not decipher.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!