Chapter Thirty-Three

Astrea used her last bit of strength to open the heavy metal door, leading to the exit. The fresh air filled her nostrils, and if Garrett hadn't been at his worst, she would surely have enjoyed it. She looked back at the small group that was following her ; Rosalie and Esme were almost lifting Garrett, and Alice had been massaging her head for a while. This uncharacteristic gesture worried Astrea. Was it just her imagination, or was there a real problem ? She pursed her lips without saying anything ; for the moment the most urgent thing was Garrett.

They walked through the park as best they could, trying to avoid the crowded corners. When they reached the parking lot, they put the ex-nomad in the backseat. Since a few clouds hid the sun, the vampires decided to stay out for a while, one door open in case Garrett needed anything.

- What do we do now ?

Astrea's question unfortunately remained unanswered. What to do, indeed ? Wait for the boys and risk being spotted and caught ? Or leave ?

- In any case, Rosalie said, thinking aloud, Garrett needs Carlisle. I'd be surprised if the doctors in Forks could fix him without him.

- Except that leaving him there might not be the best solution either. And not for Alice and Astrea either. Esme objected, her eyebrows furrowed.

Alice nodded.

- The poison is still working on me, I can't get rid of my headache. She grumbled.

- So let's go back to Forks to drop off Alice and Garrett, and come back here to check on the boys and make sure they've escaped. Proposed the little red-eyed vampire.

Esme pouted.

- No, you stay with Garrett and Alice too. She retorted.

The young woman was about to protest, but Garrett's growl made her change her mind. As much as she hated doing nothing, she was going to have to take her lumps to protect Garrett until he was back on his feet.

♦♦♦

- Where do we go from here ?

- Give us time to think about it, will you ?

- Yeah, well in the meantime, the soldiers are looking for us and if we don't move, they'll find us !

- So use your head for once and help us !

- Shut up Jasper ! Ouch !

Carlisle had just hit Emmett with a science textbook to shut him up.

- If you two keep bickering like kids, we're not going to stay hidden for long. He remarked.

The doctor abandoned the book on a table and walked briskly towards a door at the back of the room, on the right. As the two boys joined him, he fiddled with the lock and quietly pressed the handle. He carefully opened the door, checking that no one was in the next room.

- The soldiers open the main doors one by one, if we can open all the doors like this one we can cross the rooms and head for the exit, then join the others. The doctor whispered.

- And the werewolves ? Emmett asked as he followed the other two who were hurrying to open the second door in the other room.

It was Jasper who answered him.

- The soldiers are focused on us and expect us to go after Seth and Jacob. The best course of action for now is to get out of there and then come back through the front door.

The vampire nodded silently and followed his sidekicks. They rushed into the next room, leaving no time for their attackers to join them. As they did so, the screams of the soldiers faded away, giving way to a stunned silence.