Recruitment

“Okay, so... remind me one more time why I’m doing this?”

Darcy asks, leaning towards a lamppost, her eyes on the school and her phone to the ear. When she had taken the day off to just relax after the exams she’s been going through, she had planned to just stay home and do nothing. Figures that when you live with one Skye, things never goes as plan.

“Two reasons, as you know. One, I can’t be near the school in case S.H.I.E.L.D is still watching it...”

“And I can?”

“Well yes, I run away the same night Simmons found me remember? And second, I have a class starting in 10 minutes.”

Skye explains on the other end of the line and Darcy rolls her eyes. She should have known she would end up being dragged into her best friends new job one way or another. She had been quite surprised when she returned home from class that day to learn that not only did Skye found a job, but she got it through Tony Stark.

The fact that Jane had decided to bring Skye with her to meet with Stark that day was another surprise. But, Skye is happy once more and isn’t just walking around the apartment being grumpy. And with the salary she gets from Stark, we’ll they could start looking for a new place, just to be on the safe side.

Realising what she is thinking, Darcy can’t help but to smile slightly. How easily she has grown accustomed to thinking and acting as if she is being watched every move she makes. Having to remember to use the right name for her oldest friend when they are not alone, and now how to spot S.H.I.E.L.D agents that isn’t agent May.

“Are you sure the person you are counting on will try and skip school at this point?”

“Yes, I may or may not have checked up on his records since I quite. He refuses to take the computer class since I’m not the teacher, so he will be out in a few minutes. And I’ve got to go, my first few students just arrived.”

Skye tells her and before Darcy has a chance to say anything, the line goes dead. Rolling her eyes, Darcy lowers her hand to start scrolling through her phone, Skye had at least sent her a picture of the young man she is looking for, and her best friend had been right. Almost five minutes later, the front doors opens and the young man starts to walk down the front steps.

“Mr Jefferson?”

Darcy calls out and she can see how the young man freezes in his steps, eyes looking up at her and she can see how he is trying to figure out if she should run or not. Realising in this moment why Skye likes this kid, she relaxes, remembering how skittish Skye was when she thought she was in trouble as young.

“Don’t worry Mr Jefferson, I’m not here to arrest you. I just want to talk, or rather ask you a question.”

She tells him, hopping he will believe her in this. Seeing that he relaxes at least one level, his eyes narrows as he looks at her.

“What would that be?”

“You used to have a teacher by the name of Alyson Mitchell, correct?”

She asks, and the moment she does, she can see how he becomes guarded once more. She has to hand it to Skye, her former students are very loyal.

“I don’t know what you are talking about.”

The young man tells her, rolling her eyes, she push herself from the lamppost and takes a few steps forwards, seeing that he takes the same amount of steps backwards.

“Oh, but I know you do. Because she is my roommate.”

Darcy tells him, smiling big and arms crossed. She is quite sure the young man in front of her were about to start running, but as her words starts to sink in, she watches how he relaxes. Eyes growing in surprise.

“Your... your her roommate? Is she alright? She quite so suddenly and...”

He starts to ask, only to grow silent once more and Darcy is sure she can see a faint hint if blush. Deciding to ignore this for now, she nods her head.

“Yes, Alyson... or rather Skye, is my roommate.”

She starts to explain, pulling out a paper from her jack pocket. Watching him, she can see the confusion in his eyes.

“She will explain everything to you and the other students that wants to come.”

Darcy starts to explain, holding out the paper to him. But just as the young man is about to take it, she pulls her hand back.

“As long as you turn back and go to your class that is. She is very disappointed that you have started skipping classes once more, Mr Jefferson.”

Sure, Skye didn’t tell her this out loud, but Darcy could hear it in her voice just a few minutes ago. Seeing how the young man goes over his options he nods his head in defeat. She gives him a warm smile as she hands him the paper.

“Good luck and I’ll see you again.”

She tells him, turning and starts to head back for the apartment. Casting one quick look over her shoulder, she sees how Skye’s former student heads back into the school once more. Satisfied with her work, Darcy pulls out her phone to send a quick message to Skye, informing her that the information has been delivered.

Seeing what time it is, she sighs, since she is already out she guess she could head for the lab herself. There is a large pile of work that still needs to be done, she can complain about all of this once the day is over and she and Skye are both back home.

Reaching the lab, entering and seeing the surprised look Jane gives her, she shrugs as she walks over to her desk.

“Skye’s fault.”

Is the only thing she says and she can see how Jane smiles at this. Seems like there will have to be another thing she will complain about.