Support

Her best friend is fuming, if this was a cartoon, Darcy is quite sure steam would be coming out of Skye’s ears in this very moment. She and Jane are standing against the wall, not sure as to why they had been called over, but when Darcy had taken the call and heard that something was wrong in Skye’s tone of voice, well, what type of a friend would she be if she didn’t check it out.

The fact that Skye's students from her old work showed up only a few minutes after Jane and herself, just made things even more confusing. But then there’s the fact that one Jefferson isn’t with his class and seeing the anger in Skye, Darcy figures this has something to do with the joker card in the deck.

Remembering what Skye had told her about the boy and her meetings with him, he was a lose cannon and it was just a question of when he would go off. Granted, Darcy had thought it would happen a lot sooner, and as she looks around at his classmates, she realises she’s not the only one on that line.

Turning her attention towards Skye, Darcy sees the moment something within the young woman changes. She had been walking back and forth in front of her own computer, eyes traveling to the screen from time to time. The anger had been constant, but something changed and Darcy knows the look in Skye’s eyes very well.

The long lost girl isn’t sure what feelings she should be acting on or feeling in this very moment, meaning she must have seen something she would only dream on in her nightmares. And seeing ad they live together and do tell the other one everything, Darcy can count on her right hand the fear that is being put in Skye.

Deciding she might be of more use standing by Skye’s side than by the wall, Darcy slowly moves from her spot beside Jane, who lifts her hand to stop her but stops halfway, knowing it’s no use. Taking her new place beside Skye, Darcy makes sure to place her back towards the screen, not wishing to see which of the nightmares are about to turn real. She will learn that soon enough.

“Skye.”

She says in a low voice however, glancing to the side, watching her best friend closely to see the change in Skye’s face. But when there is none, Darcy can feel how her own worry rises.

“Stay by my side.”

Skye finally whispers in a low voice, if it weren’t for the fact that she is standing right beside Skye, Darcy wouldn’t have heard her. All she can do, is not her head as an answer, she had made a promise to herself when she was young and there’s no way she will break that promise now.

Silence hangs over the room for a few more minutes, before the door to the classroom finally opens and all eyes turns to the side. The moment Darcy’s eyes lands on Jefferson and agent May, Skye’s mother having a firm grip on Jefferson’s shoulder, Darcy is tempted to scream. The fact that Skye seems to keep everything together amaze her.

Skye simply nods her head in a greeting towards May, who returns the nod before she pushes Jefferson into the room. The moment the door opening is free, four more people enters and the already heavy atmosphere in the room, turns into an ice cold one as the students, Jane and herself recognise the rest of S.H.I.E.L.D team 616.

The team, at the sight of Skye, comes to a complete stop in front of the classroom door. At a quick glance at Skye, seeing how her hand is shaking, Darcy reaches for it, taking it in her own hands in a sing of support, before looking back at agents Coulson, Ward, Fitz and Simmons.

Skye had told both her and Jane that Coulson was alive, that he didn’t die during the battle of New York, but for some weird reason, the Avengers are not allowed to know that. But seeing the IPod thief alive and only know the fact that he is, are two different things and Darcy can feel how her eyes narrows.

She has a bone to pick with that man, and up until this moment, she had thought it was just about him steeling things that doesn’t belong to him. No one treats her best friend the way they did, and think they could get away with it.

Not knowing what she is doing, Darcy is pulled back into reality by the fact that Skye is the one holding her back, not the other way around. Turning her head, Darcy lifts one eyebrow and Skye shakes her head. With a deep breath, Darcy forces herself to calm down, she can be angry later, right now would be good to learn why Jefferson is with 616.

“Skye?”

At Coulson’s voice, Darcy can feel how Skye grows tense and she switches her hands, back to being the one holding onto Skye. Seeing how Skye takes in a deep breath, to finally speak, someone else opens their mouth and Skye quickly falls silent, but this time around, there is no strength left in Skye to hold Darcy back.

The sound of the slap echoes through the classroom, all attention being turned towards the floor or each and everyone’s desks, a few were smiling however and Darcy is sure that if May wasn’t holding on to Jefferson, either one of them would be clapping their hands.

“One more word out of you, and I’ll make sure the next hit will permanently mark you.”

The warning clear in her tone as she speaks, feeling oddly powerful in this  very moment.