Part 2

The constant click of the employer's heels repeats annoyingly, like a never-ending loop. My hands sweat profusely and my mind begins to blank dangerously. I fidget with my glasses making sure they line up perfectly. What is happening you might ask. Or you might say 'it's normal'. Well no, it's most definitely not. It's called anxiety. Sadly, I have suffered greatly due to this, but I won't let my anxiety get the best of me this time. As she opens the door it's almost as if my knee's collapsed. 'get it together Katerina'.

'Hello, My name is Allison Trafer. I'm head of medical staff and I will be taking your interview today,' she says with a slight smile as she reaches her hand across the room.

'Take a seat.' she adds on.

'Thank you so much for the opportunity.' I continue with our small talk. I walk around and grab a seat.

As the meeting continues, everything's going well. Until Allison makes a slight remark on women not having a future in the up-and-coming AFL. Which I completely disagree with. She says it as an opinion, not as if she had actual evidence to back it up, so I get a bit arched up. You can't discriminate against people because they were born a woman. So I let it slide.

'Women aren't built to play AFL, don't you think?' she says with a grin.

'Look Ms Trafer, actually no... Allison. You won't get that formal named priveledge until I decide I can respect you, but under no circumstances do I think this has any reference to the job. So if you don't mind I would like you to reconsider your points because it isn't true. Women work just as hard as men, and maybe even harder to live up to the tough expectations to become 'strong' women that men can't fault. Look, I'm no feminist but this is quite plainly rude. Every one is built to play football if you believe so I'm sorry but I do not want to work in an uncomfortable workplace with people like you.' I push the office chair back, stand up grab my folders and resume. I open the glass office door and strut towards the access acting as if I own the place.

If I am going to work somewhere, I need to be happy with the community. No way will I be happy with that Debby Downer.

...

Now, time to explain to my family why I didn't get the job. The distance from the upstairs of my townhome to my car feels like an elongated path. Regret and fear run through my body, terrified of how I will be able to clarify why I didn't get the job. Mum and Dad have already organised a dinner to celebrate the new exciting job...

I walk to the car and doubt my intentions at that meeting. Why couldn't I just stay cool? It's whatever now anyways, the past is in the past and I can't help that.

The rev of the car blocks out any other outside noise as I pull out of my driveway. The anticipating emotion was never there, and my eyes drop down to look at the speedometer. '59km/hr' it reads. I didn't even realise I was going 19kms over the speed limit. I slowly adjust to the speed limit and turn to my left into a large industrial car park with an average-sized restaurant to the right of my car.

I strut up to the automatic doors and hear water trickling from the waterfall covering the centre of the path. The quiet sound of people chatting fills the air along with the peaceful music orchestrated by a man who slowly swings a wand back and forth.

I look down at my phone and then back up to check if mum and dad are here yet, as I slowly walk towards the front desk. Just as I do that a man in front of me notifies me that he's there by clearing his throat. Dad.

"H-hey, dad!" I say wearily, fear evident in my voice.

He smiles weakly at me as if to say he knows 'something's up'

"Hey Kat." He remarks, feeding back at my comment with a more positive attitude.

We talk for a couple of minutes, standing in front of the main desk. Mum joins us part of the way through the conversation with her usual gleaming smile. Then all of a sudden, the prince arrives. Caleb. Or you would know him as Caleb Daniel.

"Son!" Dad screams proudly

Yes, I've realised, we don't have the same last name. Long story short, dad had an affair and out came Caleb. Dad didn't want mum to know, so told Caleb's mum to give Caleb his last name. If that makes sense. His mum died when he was 4 and I was around 11 months-ish. So dad came clean to mum and he's been like a blood brother ever since. I would always play doctors with him after his local games of football when he was little, and that's where I learned my love for physiotherapy. But Caleb had also helped me. Especially through a messy break-up that went on forever. Yet I'm still in love with the man. But Caleb is my best friend. We're connected by the hip but lately, because of football he has been quite distant, and I understand that completely.

That's why when I see him, swiftly walking towards us, I run up and jump on him. We're the same height, so the imbalance of weight causes Caleb to come crashing down on his butt.

"I missed you, but I don't miss your abuse," he breathed out while stifling out a chuckle. The sound of laughter calls out from behind me.

I miss this happy family.

I excitedly push myself off Caleb and grin at him.

"Hello, long time no see." I manage to get out.

We make our way to our reserved table, and we all share laughs around the table about how Caleb is late... As usual. God, he needs to get a better sense of time.

But the conversation abruptly ends when dad brings up the job interview I took yesterday.

"Yeah, how'd it go, Kat!" Caleb embraces enthusiastically.

"Not so flash hot, but I didn't see you there Mr Daniel. Where were you?" I try to change the subject but fail miserably.

"In the gym, so. Did you get it?" Caleb continues with mum and dad being the ears of this conversation.

"Most likely not." I force out trying to prepare myself for the look on mums and dads' faces. But to my surprise, they look at me with sincere empathy.

We yak on about what happened for the next ten minutes, and Caleb's face was glowing red in anger. We both share the same beliefs about unequal rights within AFL and AFLW, as well as looking completely astonished as to why someone in his workplace would act or even say something kike that. To him, it honestly felt like everyone within that community was on the same page about the fight between AFL and AFLW. But obviously not. But this shouldn't affect him this much... I need to make sure it won't.

As the night comes to an end, we all say our goodbyes and return to our cars. 'What a great night' I confess to myself. I gradually pull my car out of the car park and drive peacefully most of the way home.

I convince myself that I deserve to be treated, so I stop in at the local bottle shop. I park my car and the bright lights at the top right of the screen within my car read 10:23 pm. Not that late. I make my way into the BWS and grab a 4 pack of Canadian Club. I never drink. But I needed to relax a little. Max was still in my mind, and it wasn't helping. I'm doing much better now. But that's not the point.

I was counting down the aisles as I make my way to the front because I was bored and had nothing else to do. Immediately as my left foot had made contact with the dirty tiles at the end of aisle 4, a man. A random man. Had pressed his lips onto mine.

Who was this man?

And why was he kissing me?