Chapter 28

"I can't find her!" Eddie shouted as he came back up for air. Jason was wading in the water, looking at Patrick's now limp body. Unsure of what took place and how it had happened. Eddie's voice snapped him out of the trance.

"You did this" Jason shouted, pointing a finger at Eddie. He then turned back around, pulling Patrick with as he dragged him to shore.

Eddie looked around once more, Billy had just surfaced too.

"Don't just stand there. Look for her, freak!" Billy shouted. Eddie dove under the water once more, swimming around for a short few seconds before resurfacing.

Billy almost simultaneously did the same, this time with an unconscious Lauryn in his arms.

The two of them swam to the opposite shoreline. Billy didn't want to deal with Jason and Eddie was clearly not going to hang out with him either.

"Put this under her head" Billy instructed ripping off the shirt he was wearing. He balled it up to create a small pillow.

"Oh-okay" Eddie nervously said, placing the balled up button-up under her head. Billy remembering his lifeguard training began to give Lauryn CPR. Eddie just stood to the side, completely shook by what had just taken place. Now he was in the presence of Billy Hargrove and instead of being immediately beat up, the two were helping save a girl who had just drowned.

"What the hell was that?" Billy asked in between chest compressions. He looked over to Eddie who seemed out of it. "Hello, Munson, I'm talking to you" Billy snapped. He kept the chest compressions at a steady beat.

"Uh- you won't believe me" Eddie muttered.

"Try me" Billy said before blowing air into Lauryn's mouth. As he pulled his mouth away, Lauryn began to cough up some of the water.

"They claim it's the upside down or something. They need the girl with the powers. And-" Eddie rambled on before stopping himself. He surely wasn't about to be the one to tell Billy Hargrove his ex girlfriend is dying.

Lauryn began to cough up more water causing both of their attentions to shift to her.

"Lauryn?" two voices shouted. It started off sounding like they were in the distance but as Lauryn opened her eyes and came to more she noticed they were both hovering over her, one clothed, one partially not but both equally soaking wet.

It scared Lauryn for a second, she jumped up, coughing up the rest of the liquid in her lungs. Hunched over on the rocks.

"Lauryn, are you okay ?" Billy asked. Eddie gave Billy a look, placing a hand on her back as she tried to gasp for air.

"Get your hands off her!" Billy said, swatting Eddie's hand away. "Lauryn, what the fuck is going on?"

"Dude I already told you. The upside down, the girl with powers. It's Vecna" Eddie reiterated more relaxed now that Lauryn had came to.

"I told you not to tip the boat" Lauryn spat, lightly swatting Eddie in anger.

"Woah. Woah. I didn't mean to" Eddie tried reasoning, shielding himself from her hands. He scrunched his body into a ball despite Lauryn barely even touching him.

"She won't beat you up. But I will" Billy commented as he placed his button up shirt back on. The buttons were mostly undone revealing his still chiseled chest.

"Billy look, if you're here for Eddie. He didn't kill Chrissy. I was there!" Lauryn tried arguing, jumping in front of Eddie to protect him.

"I didn't come for Chrissy. I came looking for you. Are you two - together?" Billy asked confused on what was going on. Lauryn Harrington won't have feelings for the freak, at least Billy hoped she didn't.

"No!" the both weakly responded at the same time. They didn't dare bring up the small kiss they shared yesterday.

"Come on let's go. I'll bring you home" Billy instructed, waving on Lauryn to follow him. She stood up off the ground but didn't follow after him.

"I'm dying" Lauryn commented. "Or at least I think I am. 40 hours possible"

"What? Come on. That freak's gotten to your head"

"I'm not kidding. That thing, Vecna, that got Patrick and Chrissy. It's coming for me. I might be next" Lauryn said. Suddenly the sound of grandfather clock chimed behind her.

Lauryn whipped her head around to see a creature? A man of some sort approach her?

"You think I forgot?" He asked.

"What?" Lauryn questioned back.

"You think I forgot about what you did? You killed all those innocent people for nothing. You should have just played along. Died like the others. Right? At least that's what you tell yourself. Right?" He asked.

Lauryn looked behind her to find Eddie and Billy both gone.

"Please. Don't" Lauryn begged. She began to run away, before coming back to reality.

Both Billy and Eddie were arguing once more.

"What the fuck is going on!" Billy shouted, running his hands through his hair.

"Dude the eye thing happened to Chrissy too!" Eddie shouted just as freaked out.

Lauryn fell to the ground, trying to erase what had just felt all too real. She hunched over, catching her breath.

"He's coming!" Lauryn muttered catching the both of their attention again.

Sirens across the lake were heard and three of them knew they had to get away.

"North. In the forest. Skull Rock" Lauryn instructed knowing of the secret place her brother had coined for himself.

They headed to Skull Rock, hoping to find some shelter there and a new walkie on the way.