Prologue

Lauryn Hargrove has always been in the shadow of her brother. She was always held to a higher standard in her parents eyes. It may have been that she was the middle child, stuck between two boys but she felt like that had nothing to do with it.

She was expected to get good grades, stay home and go to bed early all while keeping an eye on her brothers. Yet, she managed to do all of this while maintaining perfect attendance and 4.0 gpa but her parents expected more.

It might have been the fact that her dad was too busy sleeping around and her mother was too busy keeping an eye on her husband to notice that she was smart, talented and obedient. They also failed to notice her suffering as well. Even Steve and Troy didn't notice her sporadic state of paranoia or stress.

Lauryn had experienced the upside down after stumbling upon a hole in a tree outside her backyard. She thought one night it was a bear or something and curiosity got the best of her.

After finding this parallel universe she's been holding onto this secret. A secret she didn't know the others knew about as well. Especially not her brother or best friend Nancy.

She had been suffering since Barb, Nancy and her's best friend disappeared. Nancy never wanted to talk about it, about the details of that night nor did Steve.

After her disappearance police questioned all three of them about the events of that night. Lauryn was cleaning up after Steve and his friends too busy to notice when Barb left. It was also that night that changed the friendship of Nancy and Lauryn forever.