Chapter 7

Before the two knew it two hours had past. Billy still wasn't grasping how to take the derivatives of limits and Lauryn was slowly losing patience.

When the front door opened and closed it was then Billy looking panicked his focus turning to the clock before face planting his head into his hands.

"Billy?" A woman called out in a cheery voice. An older redhead walked into the kitchen stripping her coat onto an empty chair. She must have been Billy's sister's mom as they were very similar in appearance.

Billy didn't answer the woman, instead he ignored her and began to clean up the table.

"Hi I'm Susan, Billy's stepmom" the woman greeted extending her hand out towards Lauryn.

"Lauryn" she responded not sure how to address herself. Earlier Billy made it apparent he wanted her gone before they came home.

"So what's going on here?" Susan asked trying to get Billy to respond to her.

"We are working on a project. Lauryn here was gracious enough to help me since I'm new" Billy said with some sarcasm in his voice.

Lauryn wasn't quite sure why Billy was lying but she wasn't about to spill the truth herself.

"How nice of you. Please, stay for dinner tonight" Susan said as she whipped an apron on pulling food out of the freezer.

"Thanks for the offer but I should get going" Lauryn said. She could see Billy giving her looks to leave.

"No I insist. It's the least we can do for you helping Billy in school" Susan exclaimed as she placed the frozen lasagna into the oven.

Billy cleaned up the rest of the table before swiftly moving down the hall. Lauryn unsure of what to do followed Billy.

She ended up in his room, which smelt of cologne and cigarette smoke. Compared to the minimalist interior or the dining room and living room, Billy's bedroom was filled with clutter. His walls were covered with posters of bands and girls.

Billy walked over to the cassette player putting on music. He then lit a cigarette taking a a long drag.

"So since your stuck here eating dinner with us tell me something about you" Billy said as he sat down on the bed. Lauryn looked around hesitant on where to sit.

"I don't bite" Billy said patting the spot next to him. Lauryn walked over and sat down.

"You know it's nice you guys eat family dinners" Lauryn commented unsure of what else to say.

Billy scoffed at the sound of it being nice. "Yeah it's nice eating dinner with people you don't want to spend time with"

"Well my parents don't even see me as a daughter. I'm more of the maid these days. I guess we both share having to take care of people who are capable of taking care of themselves in common" Lauryn said. There was clear hurt in her voice, after all she hadn't really told anybody how she felt and yet her she was slipping her guts to Billy, of all people.

Just as Billy was about to open his mouth his father's voice boomed through the house.

"Billy" He yelled running towards the bedroom. Billy sprung up for his bed putting out the cigarette.

Billy's father practically knocked the door off the hinges as he swung it open violently. "Where is Max?"

Billy sighed running his hand through his blonde mullet.

"I don't know dad. She was late coming to the car and we had a project to work on. She probably went to the arcade" Billy said with his back turned to his father. He turned the music off before turning around.

"You're more worried about some damn girl than your sister?" He barked closing the gap between Billy and him.

"She's not my damn sister" Billy yelled back. Lauryn was quite frightened how the two talked to each other.

Billy's father swept the items on Billy's dresser on the floor. "You say you're sorry to Susan" his father sternly said. Billy once again ignored him receiving a slap in the face.

"Sorry Susan" Billy muttered. His father left the room closing the door behind him.

"Are you okay?" Lauryn quietly asked still standing in the same place. Billy in that moment had forgotten she was here.

"Yeah, c'mon I'll take you home" Billy said as he swept his leather jacket on. The two walked straight out of the house not saying a goodbye or anything.

As Billy pulled out of the driveway Lauryn let out a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Billy asked annoyed.

"Oh nothing. I'm just thinking about what I'm going to be doing the rest of the night. Steve will probably be gone for the night and Troy is either playing video games or at a friends house. I should probably get started on cleaning the house before my parents come back"

Suddenly Billy slammed on the brakes. He turned his head towards Lauryn flashing the biggest grin ever.

"We are going out tonight" Billy exclaimed before continuing the drive.

"I can't go out tonight. My parents would kill me if they found out" Lauryn whined.

"Tonight let's just be carefree. Not worry about any of our worries" Billy said. He then howled out the window.

"Fine but I need to get changed quickly" Lauryn instructed Billy on how to get to her house. As they pulled up she noticed it was quiet and empty, something she was expecting. She quickly ran in and decided to throw on the mini skirt she wore for Halloween. 

When she ran back out and hopped in the passenger seat she could see drool coming from the corner of Billy's mouth.

"Like what you see?" Lauryn asked causing Billy to fall out of his trance. He smiled before pulling away.

"So where's the party?" Lauryn asked curious. Billy chuckled.

"You must not go to parties a lot eh? It's only 6 o'clock. I have to head home sneak in and change. Will go to Tina's tonight" Billy said.

Lauryn became anxious at the sound of having to return to his home, with his father there.

••••••••
5 likes for the next chapter to be released!