Chapter 9

The blue Camaro zoomed down the dirt road, leaving a dust ball of dirt behind it. The dimly light path lead straight to a house. All Billy had on his mind was getting Max and going to the party. He wanted nothing more than to be done with this bullshit.

"Stay in the car" Billy once again said to Lauryn. She was sprawled out in the passenger seat drunk. She shook her head okay.

Steve walked out of the house surprising Lauryn. She slightly sobered up at the sight of him, shifting to a more upright position.

It looked like Billy and Steve were talking when Billy pushed Steve to the ground.

Lauryn not tolerating it swung the passenger door open. "Hey" she shouted catching the attention of both guys.

"Lauryn?" Steve questioned looking at Billy. "What the hell, you talk about me harboring your sister why do you have mine?"

Lauryn stumbled away from the car trying to break the two up. Unfortunately for her, her drunken state made her useless against those two.

"Lauryn, hey Lauryn? Is she drunk?" Steve asked shaking the girl by her shoulders.

"She had a couple drinks. We were going to a party when I had to go look for my sister. Now get her so I can leave" Billy demanded. Steve shook his head no dragging Lauryn inside the house.

Billy followed after Steve. Billy changed his attention from Lauryn to the boy next to Max.

"Hi I'm Lauryn" the girl said oblivious to the chaos taking place around her. The curly haired kid shook her hand before turning his attention back to the fight.

"Watch her" Steve said to the curly haired boy as he went in to fight Billy. Steve punched Billy straight in the jaw causing him to chuckle.

The two continued to exchange blows until Billy had Steve pinned on the floor, beating him to a pulp.

"Hey knock it off you two" Lauryn yelled again. The boy next to here shushing her as he laid her on the couch. Lauryn's eyes became heavy and she instantly feel asleep.
————
Lauryn woke up with the worst headache ever. As she slowly raised herself up she realized she was in her bed, at home. Having no recollection of getting here she wandered out of her room to find some answers.

"Hey you should be relaxing, this is probably gonna be the worst hangover of your life" Steve said rushing towards Lauryn as shuffled down the hall.

"What happened?" Lauryn asked as her hand touched Steve's bruised face. Steve ignored her until he had her back in her bed.

"You were going to a party last night with Billy? You apparently got drunk before you even got there and then when you both came looking for Max I took you home" Steve said. He knew he was avoiding a lot of the details but he wanted to keep her safe. Less she knew about Hawkins and the upside down the better she was.

"You know you're so lucky mom and dad aren't home. They would have killed you" Steve added trying to lighten the mood.

"I'm talking about you. What happened to you?" Lauryn asked. Steve hesitated he wasn't sure what to say.

"Can I ask you a question?" Steve asked. Lauryn shook her head yes gently. "Do you like Billy?"

"You know I'm gonna regret saying this, especially to you, but is it bad if I like Billy?" Lauryn asked. Maybe it was her hangover talking but she felt like she needed to get it off her chest. Steve was the one to bring it up in the first place.

Steve looked frightened by those words but immediately changed his expression.

"No, but if he breaks your heart, I'll break his neck" Steve said. He tried to hold back the anger in his voice. Lauryn smiled resting her head back on the pillow.

"I think I'm crazy for liking him" Lauryn commented. Steve got up and walked to the door, turning around to face Lauryn once more before he walked out.

"The heart wants what it wants" Steve said feeling sad at the thought of Nancy. He knew eventually it would heal but for now it hurt.

Lauryn instantly began thinking about last night trying to recall what happened. The last she remembered she was in the closet hiding from Billy's father.

Lauryn spent the rest of the weekend in her room relaxing. That was until her parents cut their trip early and walked through the door Sunday morning.

"Shut up your bastard. You've cheated on me enough" her mother yelled as the entered then house. Lauryn, Troy and Steve all gathered at the top of the stairs.

"Great they are home and fighting" Lauryn commented. They all fled back to their rooms hoping the two would bicker with each other all night downstairs.

The next morning Lauryn headed to school driving in the passenger seat of Steve's car. As the two pulled into the parking lot after dropping their brother off Lauryn and Steve could see Nancy and Jonathan walking in together.

"It will get easier" Lauryn said hoping to make Steve feel better. He smiled before walking into the school.

As Lauryn headed to her locker she felt a presence next to her.

"Hey how you feeling?" Billy asked.

"Better. So you need help today in math? We can meet in the library-" Lauryn began.

"I got a place we can study see you later" Billy said with a wink before meeting up with the basketball team. Lauryn swooned at the sight of him, she truly was falling head over heels for Billy Hargrove.

After school Billy and Lauryn went to the local diner after dropping Max off at home.

The two talked, laughed and tried to study. The waitress brought over the check and before Lauryn couldn't even ask how much she owed Billy threw down a ten.

"I can pay for myself" the girl said fishing a five from her wallet.

"Why would I make you pay for yourself on a date?" Billy said as he leaned back in the booth grinning.

"Who said this was a date?" Lauryn asked raising an eyebrow. Billy chuckled as he exited the booth.

••••••••
5 likes for the next chapter to be released!