Chapter 5

Lauryn paced near the blue Camaro. She was beginning to think this was some prank, maybe Tommy H trying to get back at her for last night.

Why would a boy like Billy want to talk to her? She kept questioning in her mind. Just as she was about to turn around and head to Steve's car a voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Hey" Billy said as a he began to light a cigarette. He extended the new pack of cigarettes out towards her gesturing for her to take one. Lauryn shook her hand no and Billy shrugged his shoulders, putting the pack away.

He took an inhale before blowing the smoke out of his lungs. He leaned against the car grinning at Lauryn.

"May I ask why you asked me to meet you at the car?" Lauryn asked. She was nervous and Billy being silent wasn't helping.

"I heard you're the smartest one here. I need a tutor for math in order to stay on the basketball team. Plus I think it would annoy your brother. Could you help me?" Billy nonchalantly said. He continued to smoke the cigarette.

"Yeah, I'm free after school. Just let me know when" Lauryn said. She was trying to hide the disappointment, she knew a guy like Billy would never like her. Plus she was being used to annoy her brother, Lauryn in that moment had lost hope of ever being noticed.

"Cool Tomorrow?" Billy said as he hopped in the driver seat. The red head came skateboarding towards the car quickly jumping into the passenger seat.

Lauryn watched as the Camaro pulled out from the parking lot and drove off. She headed to Steve's car to find Nancy and him once again fighting.

"Steve" Nancy yelled but Steve ignored her. He slammed his driver door closed and banged on the steering wheel. Lauryn ran over to the passenger side hopping in.

"Don't even ask" Steve said pulling out and heading towards the middle school. Troy hopped in the back and they drove off.

It was quiet but she didn't like it, she wished it was loud and noisy at this moment to keep her thoughts anywhere but Billy.

She was embarrassed and annoyed that she was being used. Why did this happen to her? Did she give off this impression that she's usable?

As she walked into the house the home phone was ringing. Lauryn went to answer it and Steve mouthed he wasn't here.

"Hey Tammy" Lauryn said out loud. Steve breathes out a breath of relief and headed upstairs.

"Hey it's Nancy not Tammy. I just wanted to know if you wanna go downtown tonight?" Nancy asked on the other end.

"Yeah sure I'll see you at seven" Lauryn responded back. She was quite unconfused as to why Nancy was calling her. It wasn't like the two have hung out since...since the night of Barb's disappearance.

Lauryn placed the phone back on the wall and bite her freshly manicured nails.

"Hey I'm going out tonight. Can you watch Troy?" Lauryn asked as Steve walked into the rummaging through the fridge.

"Yeah I guess" Steve responded slightly annoyed.

"Thanks" Lauryn exclaimed as she ran up the stairs. She changed her clothes, looking more presentable than she did this morning. She did her homework and straightened up her hair and makeup before beginning her walk downtown.

Lauryn waited on the corner of Main Street right outside of Melvald's General Store. Lauryn shoved her hands into her pockets trying to keep herself warm as the air became increasingly chilly.

"Hey sorry I'm late. I had Jonathan pick me up" Nancy explained pointing to the boy behind her who looked uncomfortable.

"Hi I'm Lauryn" Lauryn said taking a few steps forward and extending her hand out. Jonathan shook her hand before placing it back in his pocket.

"So you wanted to meet me" Lauryn said. Nancy looked hesitant quickly looking back at Jonathan.

"Look I know I haven't been the greatest best friend in a while but I want to make it up to you" Nancy began she was starting to look worried and even more nervous.

"I know something, something that you can't tell anyone about. You have to promise to keep it a secret" Nancy whispered. Lauryn was extremely confused and quite worried at how Nancy was acting.

Lauryn shook her head okay not sure how else to respond.

"I know what happened to Barb. Your brother, Jonathan and I, we all do" Nancy began. Lauryn was beginning to panic, she couldn't be wrapped up in something like a murder.

"I can't -I -I cant know. If you guys did something I don't want to be apart of it" Lauryn began to panic.

"Stop" Nancy said grabbing the girl's shoulders. "Barb died, in a-in a different dimension. I know it sounds crazy but this town is dangerous and I wanted to tell you before the truth comes out or worse they hide it. "

Nancy and Jonathan were both waiting for Lauryn to freak out and probably not believe them. After all they had just told the girl there was another universe and Barb, her best friend was dead.

"I have to go" Lauryn said running straight home. She couldn't handle the truth. She was hoping what she had seen that night was a dream, something made up. Atlas her worst nightmare came true.

Lauryn ran as fast as she could home slamming the front door behind her.

"Steve" Lauryn yelled frantically looking all over the house for him. She had to hear it from his mouth, the words Nancy had spoken to make it true.

"Troy" Lauryn called out when Steve was nowhere to be found. Lauryn found the young boy in his room playing video games.

"Troy where is Steve?"

"He went with Tommy I think. Told me to stay here" the boy explained. Just then Lauryn heard chatter and car doors closing. She looked out the window to see Tommy H and Steve walking up the driveway.

Lauryn ran out the house and pushed Steve as hard as she could.

"What's your problem" Steve said annoyed.

"You left Troy home first off, and second you're keeping secrets from me" Lauryn yelled.

"Woah calm down Lauryn" Tommy said trying to intervene.

"Get your fucking hands off of me. I'm not the nice girl anymore. I won't be taken advantage of, especially not by you" She yelled

"Is this about the party?" Tommy questioned.

"Dude that's my sister, why would you try to take advantage of her?" Steve asked annoyed. Tommy threw his hands up in a surrendering motion.

"She a junior, easy catch and your sister. The bragging rights am I right" Tommy said hitting Steve with his elbow.

"Dude leave" Steve said disgusted. Tommy shrugged and hopped in his car pulling away.

Steve turned his attention back to Lauryn was still fuming.

•••••••••
5 likes for the next chapter to be released!