TWO

"i remember the night
i was so frustrated
i touch your hand for the first time"

-

I DON'T KNOW what came into me the day nancy and i decided to go on a date. i had been crushing on her for a couple months, but i never expected she would be interested in women.

i waited for the crush to go away, but it stuck around. eventually, i guess some random spark of confidence hit me, because i remember walking up to nancy while she was at her locker.

we had shared brief conversations before, mainly when i was with steve. she knew who i was for sure, but that didn't mean she liked girls.

7 months earlier

"hey," i said nervously, walking up to nancy's locker. i decided to take advantage of her being alone- as she's normally hanging around someone.

"oh, hi robin," nancy greeted back, looking somewhat confused as to why i was there.

"this might sound really dumb," i start, suddenly wanting to chicken out. i took a deep breath before continuing. "but i think you're like pretty. really pretty. and i honestly am risking everything right now admitting this and i don't know why i'm doing it but i was wondering if you wanted to go out with me sometime?"

i always had a problem with rambling. whenever i got nervous or it was too silent, i would go on and on about something stupid. i couldn't help it.

i looked at nancy's face, waiting for it to contort into a digusted look or waiting for her to start laughing in my face.

instead, she only smiled. it was genuine and warm, not a mocking smile or a 'i feel bad for you' smile. it was genuine. "i do, actually"

this caught me completely off guard. i almost fell over when she said it, not at all expecting her to actually like me back or want to go on a date with me.

"wait- really?" i asked, waiting for her to bust out laughing and tell me she was lying. to tell me how pathetic i was to actually believe she would like me and slur me or something.

then again, i expected the same thing with steve. i expected him to stop being my friend and hate me. it only brought us closer in the long run.

"yeah, really. i wouldn't lie to you"

"okay... how about friday at 7:00 at the movies?"

"sounds great. i'll pick you up"

-

i remember telling steve that day at work. i wasn't sure how'd he react, since nancy's his ex and everything, but i decided it's better to not keep any secrets.

"so," i said when we were closing, nervously fidgeting with my necklace. "if you were me, what would you wear on a date?"

steve froze in his tracks and looked back at me, a grin spreading across his face. "do you have something to tell me, robin?"

"i'm going out with someone on friday"

"who is it?"