SIX

"and i was hoping you would tell her that it's over"

-

9:00 CREPT UP on me quickly, and i was almost late. at 8:45 i was throwing on a pair of jeans and a top. it wasn't very warm out, so i threw a jacket on over.

a million thoughts were racing through my head as i got in my car. what if nancy didn't show up? what if she was sitting there with barb mocking me and laughing that i actually believed her.

i shook the thoughts away and started my car. i drove to the lake we were meeting at, each nerve hitting me more and more on my way.

i don't know why i was so nervous to meet with nancy. it's not like we hadn't talked since we broke up- we had our bathroom conversations. still, this felt so much more serious.

i parked in a spot and walked over to the lake, the cool air hitting my face. i walked to the lake, seeing a figure standing by the lake, looking in the water. i knew immediately that it was nancy, seeing her curly haired silhouette.

i walked closer to her, taking in every feature i could see. her hands were shoved in her pockets as if they were cold, and her hair framing her perfect side profile.

i didn't even realize i had stopped, taking in every one of her features. it was only when i looked down at my feet i had realized that i was stopped dead in my tracks.

i started walking again, my footsteps feeling heavy. i could my heart racing like a drum in my ears. beat. beat. beat.

i must've made a loud sound, because nancy's head suddenly snapped up in my direction. she looked scared until she realized it was me, her face slowly melting into a smile. 

"you came," she commented when i got close enough to hear, sounding somewhat shocked.

i laughed. "you sound suprised"

i took a couple steps closer to her, still standing at a safe enough difference to make us both comfortable. she looked up at me finally, meeting my eyes.

"remember when we used to meet here?" she asked, her voice cutting through the silence.

i did. i remembered every single one of our late night get togethers here, every single date here. maybe that's why i wanted to meet here in the first place.

"yeah, i do," she smiles at me, and i feel myself being pulled into our memories all over again.

-

nancy looks over at me smiling as she runs her fingers through the water. she watches the tips of them disturb the water, causing ripples to form behind them.

i sat on the edge next to her, my arms supporting my body as i lean back onto them. i watch as she smiles at the moving water.

"i think i see something moving!" she says excitedly, moving her face closer to the water to look in.

"what is it?" i ask, cocking my head to the side. she looks so cute.

"i don't know.." she said, further examining the water. "wait- i think i see it. it's-"

all of a sudden, something jumped out of the water, hitting nancy in the face. it landed on the grass in between us. it was a frog, who hopped away as if he was running from a crime scene.

i looked at nancy as we both burst out in laughter together.

i watched her the whole time as we laughed our heads off. her smile was so cute, her laugh was like music to my ears.

i was so insanely in love with this woman.

"did....did you just get hit in the face by...a frog?" i asked in between laughs, causing the two of us to laugh even harder.

"yeah....i think so"

-

i once again snapped out of my memories, realizing i had zoned out. the silence consumed the air like a thick blanket, wrapping the two of us.

"anyways...." i said, rocking back and forth on my feet. how the fuck does nancy wheeler always make me this nervous? "should we sit?"

she nodded, the two of us walking to a bench. we sat down as a wracked my brain to figure out how to start the conversation.

"i'm sorry," i started, "i should've never jumped to conclusions the way i did. i should've listened to you and heard you out. my emotions took the best of me in that moment. i guess i was just hurt because of how much i loved you. but that's no excuse. i didn't think about how much it would hurt you too at the time. i did what was best for me, and it was really selfish. and i shouldn't have ghosted you either because that was such an utterly stupid mistake i should've never done. losing you is all my fault"

i realized i had once again been nervously rambling on and on again as i gasped for a breath, watching nancy digest all the words i had just said.

"it's not all your fault," she said after a bit, looking back in my eyes. "i should've tried more. i get what it may have sounded like, and i never meant to put you in that position. i know i was being distant and weird before we broke up. i just wasn't in the best place. if i'm being honest, i'm not entirely better. i mean- barb makes me happy....but...."

"but?" i asked, raising an eyebrow.

she shook her head. "but nothing. nevermind. i guess i'm picking up on your rambling habits"

we both laughed, but a weird feeling was left in the air. after some silence, she spoke up again.

"so...do you want to try being friends again?"

i could feel my heart skip a beat the second she asked the question. the question itself merely made me have a heart attack, and her looking into my eyes didn't help either.

"i'd love to," i told her, and she smiled.

we sat there for a bit making small talk before she decided to go back home. i was watching her walk back to her car when i realized something.

i'm still deeply in love with nancy wheeler.

-

a/n: i'm so tired if u see spelling mistakes pls tell me