Chapter 10: New Arrival

——————————💀——————————

Scraps led (Y/n) back to the tavern, dropping the flowers at her feet. She picked them up and walked inside to see it completely empty except for Emile who was playing a sad tune on the piano.

(Y/n) walked up next to him and held out the flowers. "I...think you dropped this."

"They were for you." He muttered.

"Oh...well, thank you."

He didn't respond.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings Emile. I didn't mean to. It's just that this day hasn't gone quite...well...according to plan." She sighed, sitting next to him.

Emile still said nothing and still continued to play. (Y/n) looked at him for a moment and played a tune as well. Emile glanced at her before he played some more notes, and (Y/n) copied his melody.

(Y/n) started to play her own song glancing at Emile, who still tried to avoid eye contact with her. Eventually, he joined in and the two kept trying to outdo each other.

Eventually, Emile's hand popped off and started walking across the piano keys, and travelled up (Y/n)'s arm, around her shoulders, to her other arm.

Emile chuckled. "Pardon my enthusiasm."

"I like your enthusiasm." She held his hand and connected it back to his arm.

"Where did you learn to play like that?" Emile asked.

"I had to teach myself. My mother thinks the piano is improper for a lady, so I had to sneak down at night and practice."

Emile smiled and looked down at his lap. He thought for a moment, then his smile disappeared.

"I...can take you back to him...if you want." He told her reluctantly.

"Back to who?"

"That boy? Your true love." He explained, trying really hard to not let his jealousy show.

"Victor isn't my true love. I was just marrying him because it would have been financial for my family. He's in love with my younger sister, Victoria."

"Really?" Emile asked, his eye brows raised in surprise.

(Y/n) nodded.

"Oh. I'm sorry I didn't let you explain. I guess I just saw you in his arms, and got a bit...um...jealous." Emile blushed.

(Y/n) took his hand in hers. "Emile, although our marriage was...accidental...I don't regret it. I'm glad that it happened, I'm glad I met you."

"You are? Truly?"

"Mm-hmm. Your everything I would want in a husband."

Emile smiled. "And your everything I would want in a wife."

The two looked into each other's eyes and Emile placed his hand on her cheek as they began to lean in.

Their lips were centimeters away from touching, when a loud bell started ringing. The noise scared them, and they sprang apart to see what was going on.

"New arrival! New arrival!" Someone announced.

Multiple people filed into the bar in excitement. Paul started pouring everyone drinks, and the female chef began pushing everyone out of the way.

"Welcoming committee, coming through! Coming through! My names Plum. Miss Plum." She introduced to the new arrival.

"Mayhew?" (Y/n) whispered. "Mayhew! How nice to see you-!"

Mayhew turned around and she saw that his face was blue like the other corpses.

(Y/n) gasped. "I'm so sorry."

"Oh, yeah. Actually, though, I feel great." He inhaled deeply.

"Hurry up, boys. Can you not see the gentlemen is parched?" Paul asked, as the bugs poured Mayhew a pint.

"Mayhew, I didn't mean to leave. They all must be worried sick. How is everyone?" (Y/n) asked.

"Well, they're still wondering where you slipped off to. Oh, and uh, Miss Victoria..."

"Oh, yes. How is my sister?"

"Well, she's getting married this evening."

"Really? She's marrying Victor? Oh, how wonderful!" (Y/n) praised.

"No, actually she's marrying some newcomer, Lord somebody-or-other." Mayhew corrected.

"What? But that's impossible."

Mayhew scratched his face awkwardly. "Yeah, well, with you gone and all...I guess they didn't want to waste the cake. Heh."

"But, that doesn't sound like her." (Y/n) said.

"Time to pick up the pieces, and uh...move on, I suppose." Mayhew advised.

(Y/n) looked down in confusion, and walked out of the bar, needing to think.

"(Y/n)? Dearest? Where are you going?" Emile asked, but she just kept walking.

...

Meanwhile, Victoria was fitted into a wedding dress, and Hildegard was adjusting her veil.

"Miss Victoria, we must leave for the church, now."

"Yesterday, I thought my wedding would be happy. Now I feel like I'm caught in the tide, pulled out to sea." Victoria sniffed.

"The sea leads to many places dearie. Maybe you'll land somewhere better." Hildegard suggested, before exiting the room.

...

"With this candle, I will light your way in darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine." Lord Barkis recited, as he placed the ring on Victoria's finger.

"I now pronounce you man and wife." Pastor Galswells announced.

Lord Barkis turned to his sister, who was the only person sitting on his side, and they both shared sinister looks.

——————————💀——————————