Chapter 12: Second Thoughts

——————————💀——————————

Hildegard entered the room carrying a small cake for Victoria and Lord Barkis's wedding. She placed the cake on the table in the very silent room. All the guests were quiet and looked insanely bored.

Lord Barkis tapped a spoon against his glass. "Quiet down now, everyone. Thank you. Elegant, cultured, radiant. Victoria has found a husband with all these qualities and more. Serendipity has brought us together, and no force on earth could tear us apart."

Suddenly, the room went dark, and the fire in the fireplace turned green. Skeletons came up behind Lord and Lady Everglot and one of the skeletons eyes dropped into Lord Everglot's soup.

"There's an eye, in me soup." He stated.

The guests shrieked and started running around at the sight of all the dead people. Lord Barkis shoved Victoria away and he and his sister crawled under the table to hide. Lady Everglot stood on a chair and stared down at Scraps who was barking at her.

"Fetch me musket!" Lord Everglot demanded.

"Fetch your own musket! I'm off!" The butler declared, leaving the room.

"Excuse me." The Maggot said, crawling up a man's arm. "You don't know me, but I used to live in your dead mother."

"Finis, who invited these people?" Lady Everglot asked fearfully as she and her husband stood on the stairs. "They must be from your side of the family."

"Certainly not. Why if my grandfather Everglot could see this, he's be turning in his grave."

"Finis." A voice said.

He turned and saw the skeleton of his grandfather standing in front of his own portrait.

"Where do you keep the spirits?" He asked.

The two screamed and ran down the hall.

...

Outside, the dead were making there way to the streets and ran past the town crier.

"In other news...THE DEAD WALK THE EARTH!!!!" He screamed.

...

An old lady was in a corner swinging her cane. "Get back! Don't try and sneak up on me!"

She swung her cane randomly, but because she had poor eyesight, she couldn't see if she hit any of them. "Get back! I'll give you such a wallop!"

...

A group of the dead approached a family, and a little boy was cowering behind his mother, when he suddenly noticed on of the corpses and started walking towards him.

"No!" His mother called.

The corpse picked the kid up and they stared at each other for a while.

"Grandpa?" The kid asked.

The corpse brought the kid into a hug and the crowd awed.

...

The old woman was hitting a skeleton man with a mustache as he tried to get her attention.

"Bounder!"

"Sweetie pie."

"Monster!"

"Buttercup."

"Cad!"

"Gertrude!"

"Alfred?" She asked. "Oh, you've been dead for 15 years."