Chapter 19

Bennett's POV

Elisha excitedly opened the sliding door which led to the backyard of the house. There were children running around, playing hide and seek. There was a dance floor where couples were dancing together, women were in the kitchen cooking and the atmosphere was so uplifting and warm.

You could hear laughter and see smiles everywhere. It was a direct imitation of a scene out of a movie. Something I had never experienced before because of my disfunctional family.

"Mama!" Elisha yelled as she quickened her steps, probably seeing someone she had been longing to see.

An elegant woman with a floral, button straight dress turned around and hurried in our direction. Her curly onyx hair bounced on her shoulders as her radiant smile grew wider.

"My Angel." She exclaimed in a silvery voice.

Both females ran and leaped into each others arms. Tightly embracing one another, they both shed a tear as they mumbled a few words.

"Mama there is someone I want to introduce you too." Elisha pulled out of the hug and motioned her mother to where I was standing like a statue.

"This is my friend Bennet." She stated, "I brought him here to get him away from the craziness of the city."

Mrs Bedford glanced at me then reversed her eyes back at Elisha with a poker face.

"Friend or potential?" She blurted out, unprovoked.

"Don't start mom. We're only friends." Elisha replied, looking at the other direction out of embarrassment.

"H-hello ma'am." I extended my hand, stuttering as I barely managed to say the two word.

If my clammy hands weren't attach to my arm, I promise they would have fallen off because of my trembling. I wasn't sure on whether the beads of sweat on my forehead were from fear or from the scorching sun, either way, it wasn't helping with my composure.

"We don't do handshakes in this household so bring it in." She grabbed my shoulder and pulled me in a warm hug then soon let go.

"How are you doing Ben." Her heartwarming smile put me a little at ease.

"I'm blessed and you ma'am." I replied politely, fidgeting with my fingers to calm my anxiety.

"Ohh... you also a believer?" She looked impressed as she gave her daughter a nod of approval.

"Yes ma'am. I haven't been baptized yet but I'm planning to really soon. Just waiting for God's timing to allow me."

After fully accepting God's free gift of salvation, the next chapter of my life in Christ would be baptism. I felt like it was a significant milestone that played a huge role at becoming a new creation in Christ. It was a special covenant that you made to Jesus to show Him that you've accepted Him as your Lord and Savior.

"Well I think he brought you here for a purpose actually..." Mrs Bedford's voice trailed off. "There is a baptism ceremony at church tomorrow morning. I think God would be so proud to have you there to fully hand over your life to Him."

I couldn't help but smile as I felt God picking up the pieces of my life and trying to put together something right. I could feel Him moving me and renewing my heart.

"Yes please." I cheered, praising the Lord internally, "It would be my absolute pleasure."

"I'll be going there as well btw." Elisha intervened smiling from ear to ear.

"Then count me in." I smiled back.

Her arm slightly brushed against mine and my body felt unconscious for a few seconds before recovering back to its normal state. That was very weird.