Chapter 44

Hana Wong's POV:

In life, they always say when you love something you have to let it go. Even though it will hurt and the pain will feel unbearable, it is the right thing to do. At this moment in time, I had chosen to live by that saying and let go of something I treasured a lot.

"I'm sure you all wondering why I call you in so early and unexpectedly."

I looked around the room which consisted of my parents, Mr Choi and the first boy whom I've ever loved, Bennet.

"I have decided that I don't want to marry Bennet anymore."

I announced assertively, with my chin raised up high even though i was breaking inside.

"WHAT?"

Everyone gasped in unison. Turning their heads to each other and then back to me again.

"Hana stop with your jokes."

My mother warned in a stern voice.

"I'm not joking mom, Bennet and I..." A hard lump formed in my throat as I found it hard to utter the words. "Bennet and I don't have feelings for each other."

"Well, you can just spend quality time together and then develop romantic feelings. That's what happened with your dad and I."

"That was yours and dad's love story, not mine." I proclaimed, and for the first time in my life I had stood up to my mother. "Not everything that worked out for you will work out for me."

I could feel my eyes stinging as I tried to find the right words to explain everything without breaking down.

"One thing that I've realised is that you can't force nor buy love, it's not something tangible. Love is the most beautiful thing that can be shared between two people because it's unconditional and everlasting."

"Its Bennet, isn't it? He forced you into saying this."

Mr Choi intervened, tilting the blame onto his son.

"No sir, this is all me. He never knew anything about it."

I glanced at Bennet who was looking at me with those warm eyes filled with  sorrow and guilt.

"But why Hana? Why are you throwing such a beautiful blessing away."

My mom continued nagging as she had always done to me.

"MOM I DON'T WANT IT OKAY! I'VE SAID ALL I NEED TO SAY, NOW CAN I PLEASE. GO. HOME."

"Not without giving us a valid reason."

She raised her voice.

"I don't want to marry him! He is not a good guy. He's not my type at all."

I lied, swallowing the painful lump that burnt in my throat.

"The man I will love must have a big heart, who brings me joy when around. I want someone who will choose me everyday. I want someone who will make me their number one priority, not one of his priorities but the ultimate priority. Someone who's kind, loving, generous and thoughtful. I just want to feel love and to be loved."

"Isn't that what Bennet is?"

My father shoved him in front of me.

"No, he is not the one for me."

I looked away, feeling my emotions overwhelming me.

"He is Hana, just look at him."

"Will you ever listen to me for once!" I eventually burst, like a grenade meeting the ground. "Can you listen to what I have to say for once. Can you just listen to what truly makes me happy and the kind of future I dream of having."

"What do you want?"

My father asked me and I wanted to scream Bennet but I held it in.

"I want to be happy. That's all I've ever wanted. To feel content and satisfied with whatever I have."

I couldn't hold it in any longer so I burst into tears. I was hurting and I needed to cry.

For so many years I had hidden my true emotions of not feeling appreciated by anybody. I had based my whole life trying to please my parents and not once have I heard them say, " I'm so proud of you my daughter."

The only thing that they kept drilling in my head was how they wished they had a son who would be the heir of Wong Corporation.

And even though I was constantly top in the grade at school and going overseas for competitions and sport, I had never heard them congratulate me. The only thing they would say is "Aim higher next time."

I put so much pressure on myself trying to be the perfect daughter but it would never erase their wish of having a son. Bennett rejecting me felt like I was not enough and brought back the feelings of my parents. Him picking Elisha over me felt like my parents picking my non-existing brother over me.

"So please, I'm begging you, please call off the engagement."

My knees weakened and I fell to the ground weeping.

"Its alright sweetheart. I understand. You don't have to do it anymore."

And after so many years, my father knelt down on his knees and embraced me in his warm fatherly arms.

"Sorry Mr Choi but this deal is over."

He announced, planting kisses on the top of my head.

"Don't worry I understand."

Mr Choi approved although his face wore a bitter expression.

I turned my head to Bennet who stood like a statue, watching the special moment I was sharing with my father.

"Thank you"

Bennet mouthed, shoving his hands in his pocket. It was very hard to let him go but I knew it was the right thing to do.

**********************
Hello beautiful people ✝️

Can we please take a moment to appreciate the wonder person Hana is. I mean, she could have kept quiet and proceeded to get engaged to Bennet, although he didn't want to, for her own selfish happiness.

We need to understand that life may force us to let go of something or someone. Yes, it may be hard but God will never EVER take something away from you and not return it or give you something better.

Also I wanted to base this chapter on problems faced by the youth. I feel like some parents put so much pressure on their children because they want to be perceived as better by society based on their children's deeds or careers.

I just wanted to tell everyone that yes honour, love and respect your parents but don't lose your identity and passion based on the person they want you to become. Don't be a doctor when you know you can't stand the sight of blood. Don't be a lawyer because your parents are lawyers so you have to be one as well. Be something that you know you can do forever with a smile on your face. Do something that you are passionate about.

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT WHAT YOU THINK.

STAY HEALTHY, BLESSED AND LOVED

(●♡∀♡)