vii.

________________________________
chapter seven.
↳ ੈ‧₊˚ ┊back to black.

298 AC — Winterfell________________________________

298 AC — Winterfell
________________________________

KIYANA had decided to clear her mind by venturing around Winterfell, trying to avoid any rushing thoughts that may spring up in her mind.

She went out in Winterfell's common area, where all the blacksmiths and workers were located. The thing that caught her attention was the way the blacksmiths forged their swords and weaponry.

In their workshops, which were loaded with weaponry on display, the blacksmiths used a variety of tools and instruments. The heated metals were taken from a Forge and hammered and twisted into shape on a hefty metal block called an anvil.

The smithys used hammers of varied sizes for diverse reasons. Punches were also available for punching circular holes in metals for things such as horseshoes.

Heating and hammering were the primary components of a blacksmith's system for manufacturing weapons; the bright orangish-red of the heated metals and the clattering of their hammers against the steel infiltrated Kiyana's ears.

The rhythm the steel was hit in was almost like music to her ears.

The iron was to be sculpted into the shape of a certain weapon or instrument, as Kiyana carefully observed — it was heated in the blacksmith's glowing furnace and then shaped on the anvil by repeatedly hammering and twisting it into shape.

In the common area, there appeared to be blacksmiths with various purposes; some forging carts for transportation, while others crafted doorknobs, nails, and other objects, with swords, chisels, axes, swages, drifts, and sled hammers being the most regularly crafted items.

It appeared that many hunting and fighting weapons, as well as farming equipment, were manufactured. They used this method to hunt down animals to feed the residents of Winterfell, along with the rest of the world.

Customers of the blacksmiths appeared to be both commoners and nobility. Common folk, like aristocrats and knights, required everyday equipment for agricultural and home use, as well as weapons.

Every village or kingdom requires the presence of a blacksmith. This is because the regular people, as well as the nobles and clerics, rely on them to maintain the instruments they employ in their daily lives, which includes survival.

Kiyana stood there, watching the smithys forge swords, her gaze drawn to every tiny detail and speck of sparks that resulted from the clashing hammers and the heat of the steel.

She had decided that someone would spot her eyeing the weapons and get the wrong impression, so she continued on with her little walk.