S2 CHAPTER 8

The rest of the walk was a complete blur. Every few minutes Dustin would ask if you were okay, and Steve, who was walking in front of you, would look back to make sure you hadn't dropped dead. Eventually you realized that they were heading back to the lab, which would make sense because it's where the original gate was.

Once you got there Nancy, Jonathan, Mike, Will, joyce, and Hopper were running out and shoving you into Hoppers police car. The older man looked at your arm, which was bleeding through the make-shift bandage, "Are you alright kid?" You just looked to him and nodded, not knowing how to respond to the question. You were squished between Dustin and Steve, while Lucas and Max went with Mike, Will, Nancy, and Jonathan. Joyce didn't like being away from him but she agreed because Hopper wanted to keep an eye on you. You leaned your head against Steve's shoulder and closed your eyes. Dustin was holding your hand, not gripping to tightly, but enough to let you know he was there. You unintentionally hooked your wound-free arm with Steve's, causing him to look down at you. The ride was completely silent.

You had arrived to the Byers house pretty quickly, thanks to Hopper speeding the entire time. You untangled yourself from the boys in the backseat and climbed out wincing. Now the pain was beginning to set in. You gripped your arm tight and tried your best not to cry. Jonathan practically jumped out of the car and ran to you, pulling you into a hug. "Careful Byers, ah shit-" his eyes widened as he looked to your arm. "Don't give me that look, 'Tis but a flesh wound'" he shook his head. "You need to get that properly bandaged, seriously. And thank God you had your meds with you Jesus." He looked over your shoulder and made eye contact with something. You turned to see Steve standing there awkwardly. "You've been running with Harrington huh?" You shook your head and your cheeks warmed slightly. "Yeah, I guess? We've been with the kids. There's no way in hell I'm letting them run around alone." You let out a short chuckle. He nodded to you and looked back to Steve. "Hey Harrington! Take her and get her bandaged up okay? Take care of her for me." Your face turned a darker shade of pink at that. "Oh yeah? What about you and Nancy?" You whispered to him. He shook his head and walked into the house.

You turned back to Steve, who was leaning against Hoppers car. You walked closer to him and he reached for your arm. Out of reflex you pulled it away from him, afraid of how much this was going to hurt. "I'm just going to loosen the cloth, it's cutting off your circulation." You looked down and sure enough, your fingers had a pale purple hue to them. "Can we go inside first? I want to make sure everyone is okay, plus the first aid kit is in the bathroom cabinet." He looked to the ground and then back to you, "You really need to stop worrying about everyone else for a second. I mean seriously, with what I've seen in the past hour,you need to take a break." You felt like a child being scolded. "C'mon let's get you fixed. Can't have you losing a hand, or bleeding out on us I guess." You laughed and he smiled. You grabbed his hand and pulled himà behind you. "Let's go doofus."

You pulled him into the house only to be stopped by Joyce wrapping you in a hug, being careful of your arm. "Your brother told me what happened, sweetheart are you sure you're okay?" She cupped your face and wiped some blood off of your lip. "I'm fine Joyce, I'm gonna have Steve help me fix this-" you held up your arm, "And then we'll be back in here to help you guys." You smiled warmly at her. She brought your forehead to her lips  and hugged you once more. You almost melted into her, sure you had your mom but Joyce was probably more of a parent to you than anyone. "It's this way Harrington, come on." You pulled him to the bathroom.

"You're gonna have to do this, okay?" You told him calmly, your voice still broke though, you were in so much pain. "I figured, you only really have one arm right now." You sighed. "I've taken medical courses in school, and I've cleaned plenty of wounds, but I need  two hands-agh-fuck-" you winced again gripping your arm above the deep gashes. "I can walk you through it, but I can't do it by myself, please Steve, just be careful." You mumbled. He looked down and then to the ceiling. Sighing he grabbed the kit from your hands and opened it on the counter. He handed you some pain killers to ease the throbbing in your forearm, then patted the open space on the counter next to him, silently asking for you to sit there. You stood up and walked over next to him, but realized how much pushing yourself up with your arms was going to suck. He noticed your hesitation and stopped shuffling through the first aid kit. He was holding a pack of gauze between his teeth, and he stood in front of you. His hands reached for your waist, once they made contact you almost shivered. "Jump on three,-" he mumbled over the gauze, "1,2,...3" he lifted you up and placed you on the counter. He gave you two thumbs up, and asked if you were comfortable. You nodded and he turned back to what he was doing.

*Gore*
"Once we're don't with all of this shit, you're gonna need stitches, from a real doctor." He said looking through the supplies gathered next to him. He took your arm and began to untie the bloody cloth, carefully unwrapping it. Blood began to run down your arm again. Small streaks ran down to the palms of your hands, filling in the grooves and lines of your skin. It dripped from your fingertips as Steve held pressure with a towel. You winced at the sudden contact. "Ah- son of a bitch!" Steve looked to you apologizing "I'm sorry but your bleeding a lot, I know it hurts, but I have to." You only nodded, feeling tears well up in your eyes. You tried to blink them back, but to no avail, they fell down your face quickly. You leaned your head against the wall and tried to ease your nerves. After a few minutes Steve removed the towel to check if the bleeding had stopped, it hadn't but it had slowed down a lot. He grabbed the bottle of rubbing alcohol and looked to you. This was going to hurt a lot and you both knew it. He picked up a cotton ball and dipped it in the liquid, he knew you were watching him, he knew you were scared. You were shaking at this point, the pain had somewhat subsided but it wasn't anything crazy. Your body was finally coming out of shock though, full swing this time. He ran his hands under the tap in the sink and dried them. You were confused, you didn't know what he was doing. His hand rested on your jaw, as he wiped away your tears. "I know your scared, but I need you to relax for me. Can you do that?" He whispered to you. You nodded and he brought your head to his shoulder, wrapping an arm around you. You were now sitting sideways on the counter, as you burried your face in Steve's shoulder. He began to clean the wound causing you to cry out. He moved as fast as he could trying to get it done and over with. Soon enough your arm was wrapped and Steve was just holding you. Swaying back and forth lightly, running his hand through your hair. The other hand tapping on your thigh lightly. At some point you both pulled away looking at each other. "We should probably get back-"
"Yeah- definitely" he pulled you off of the counter, pulling you even closer to him. You looked up at him. "Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."